10

When I got home, my mother had already left so I sighed in relief.

This walk of shame from my neighbor's would have killed her for sure.

I smiled sadly when I saw she left me scrambled eggs for breakfast hoping I'd come home.

And suddenly I was enveloped by an immense sadness. I couldn't even begin to imagine what she must have went through last night.

And to top it off, I'd have to tell her I failed to get into a university.

Areum rubbed herself on my leg and I bent down to pick her up. "Missed me?"

And in response, she purred and I went to give her some food, then plugged my cellphone.

After taking a long, long shower to wipe traces of Yoongi off of me, I plopped down on my bed and stared at the ceiling.

Then picked my phone and dialled my mother's number, secretly hoping she wouldn't pick up.

"Hello? Y/n? Where are you? Where have you been? Are you okay? Are you safe?"

"Whoa, whoa calm down, mom. I'm home, and I'm fine. You just missed me."

"Where were you last night? You've never done this before, y/n," she sounded worried.

"I was at a friend's place, mom. I couldn't call you because my phone ran out of battery."

"What friend? You don't have any friends," she said and it literally stung because it was true.

"Wow, thanks, mom," I tried to mask the hurt.

"Oh sweetie, you know I didn't mean it like that."

"Yeah. Well I met her during the entrance test. We both failed," I faked a laugh. "Her name is Yoon...ji," I improvised.

"Yoongi?"

"No, Yoon--," but she cut me in.

"Yeah, I heard about it from Yoongi. Don't sweat it, baby. Actually, I think it's a good thing you got yourself a gap year," she said but my teeth clenched so hard that it was difficult hearing her. "You've been staying in your room like a monk and with a whole year you'll have plenty of time to study and start making friends."

But what my brain heard and repeated over was:

Yoongi ruined my life, Yoongi ruined my life, Yoongi ruined my life. (A/n: Mine too, but in a completely different way)

"Mom I failed because of Yoongi!! Don't listen to him!," I cried into the phone.

"Oh no, honey. Don't say that. How could Yoongi have done that?"

And I scoffed, tears already down my cheeks. "Exactly. You're never home to actually have a clue what's going on in your daughter's life!! So you have to listen to the goddamn neighbor to know what's happening!," I screamed and hung up.

Then fell on the floor, crying loudly for the first time since the results came out.

I don't know how long I stayed in fetal position on the floor, crying and sobbing and throwing stuff around...

But when I finally felt like I was close to dying, I sat up in the dark room. It was night.

I hadn't eaten in like two days and suddenly I felt dizzy. Crying had taken its toll on me and when I tried to get on my feet, my head throbbed yet my limbs felt like a thousand needles pierced them.