ONE[unedited]

I wrap my arms around my knees staring blankly at the floor listening for the buzz

I wrap my arms around my knees staring blankly at the floor listening for the buzz. It's one of the couple things I can rely on. To understand what's doing on around me. I jump in fear creating a barrier of flames around me as the screams pierce into my thoughts. Its been almost 730 days since I've been trapped here and I'm still not used to the random screams. A couple minutes passed as the screams start to die down and I lower the barrier rocking myself back and forth in the corner.

"There is a world out there the fire will protect you" I repeat her words out loud as they give me safety and comfort. "There are others like me"

I opened my palm and wait for a couple of seconds as the colorful flames suddenly appear dancing in delight. I smile in content as it changes colors. Red ...Blue...Yellow.... Pink

Buzz
Buzz
Buzz
Click

I turn to the door to see a plate of tasteless muck pushed in a rushed manor. Like they couldn't spend another second with their hand through the small opening within the door. I stare at the food for a couple of seconds deciding.

I extinguish the fire as it started to dance around my arm getting up on my shaky legs taking my time to the door. I poked at the raw meat wondering what they had decided to feed me this time. It's not like they would waste valuable meat on a person like me when the world is dying.

There is no color in the world anymore. The sky and clouds are the same shade of grey all year around. Anything that falls from the skies eats away at your skin and bones. Well, I should say their skin.

Our skin isn't weak. Our skin is different it doesn't react to the weather like others. It absorbs, seeping into our skin like it's another layer protecting us.

One day a couple of years ago I witnessed it.
One day a couple of years ago I was getting soaked in it.
One day a couple of years ago I caused it.

I place my hand over my food and I concentrate on heating the food up.

I try not to leave my hand over the thin meat for too long.

This is the first meal I've gotten in a couple days It feels like weeks.

I lift my hand to see most of the meat burnt. I sigh quietly before shoving the plate away from me and moving back to my corner.

"Place Your Clothes In The Slot" the voice echoed throughout the room. Not having the strength to walk back I crawl on my hands and knees to the door. Standing back up I begin to slip off the damaged clothing off of my shoulders, letting it drop to the floor. The clothes always leave worse than when it comes as they are never fire or heat resistant.