-Chapter 77-

Day: 96

Days Left: 5384

Lives Saved: 0

The Head Director of the country's operations of the Eternal Abyss stood up and clinked his fork against his glass. Upon hearing this, the rest of the table turned silent, their attention fixated on their leader.

"Before we begin feasting on this delicious meal..." the director paused as he raised his glass. "We must toast to the man of the hour..."

Everyone's eyes all turned to the other end of the table to Henry Best. He gave a respectful nod in reply to the gesture, hiding his discomfort at the staring eyes, all of them unblinking and piercing straight through him. None of them wore a genuine smile, he could tell. Adjusting his collar so it would stop suffocating him, Henry picked up his glass, as did the others.

"To our Head of Sector 39...Henry Best!" the director continued. "For all of his work this past few months. This year has been the most profitable in decades! All thanks to Best being well... the 'best'!"

The rest of the room laughed at this mediocre pun in an attempt to please the director.

Grinning in gratification, the director continued, "and of course we cannot forget the woman of the hour..." He motioned with his glass to the woman seated opposite of Henry. "Our very own Antonette Bancroft! As head of the north-east portal of the sector, Bancroft orchestrated the infamous Chimaera and Corinna Warren's meeting. No one could predict that events would unravel as they have. But my has it proven to be entertaining for our sponsors." The director raised his glass again, and the rest of the room followed suit. "To Best and Bancroft!"

"To Best and Bancroft!" everyone chimed, clinking their glasses together.

Henry squirmed in his seat, noticing how Bancroft was side-eyeing him as she sipped gingerly from her wine glass. Avoiding her glare, Henry turned to the person sat beside him and initiated conversation, anything to distract himself from locking eyes with her again.

Antonette Bancroft was a middle-aged woman with long platinum blonde hair pulled back into a bun so tight it looked as if her skin was stretched along with it, causing her cheeks to be sunken in. Henry had always imagined that perhaps she was really a robot, but her skin was too small to cover everything. In the past, they had shared a handful of pleasant conversations, maybe had even been friends, but ever since he had been promoted instead of her, Bancroft's attitude turned sour.

Enjoying discussing hiking with his neighbour, Henry almost didn't overhear Bancroft's voice until she mentioned his second-cousin.

"Ah, yes!" Bancroft smoothed back her hair as she smiled. "It was almost a month ago. I can't believe it has already been that long since! Apart from The Chimaera and Corinna Warren's initial meeting, I would say that that scene was one of my greatest achievements."

"Yes, yes!" agreed Bancroft's neighbour. "There was such a buzz for so long! How Warren tried to free The Chimaera! I was on the edge of my seat when I first watched it."

"Well..." Bancroft leaned in closer. "That wasn't my original plan. Of course, who could predict that The Chimaera would fall?"

"What was the original plan?" asked the Head of Sector 38, who had been listening attentively along with several others at the table.

A slight smile appeared on Bancroft's lips. "The plan was to see if the Chimaera would choose freedom over the safety of Warren. That was why we timed the portal to open when the imps were nearby, and then we sent Bryce Dixon for good measure."

For good measure...

Henry gripped his knife and fork tightly in his hands at this comment. Bryce Dixon... a man convicted of several cases of sexual assault and rape yet she just so casually admitted that she purposefully imprisoned him right near Corinna. It was a plan that Bancroft did not send to him to be approved.

The man that Henry had been talking to asked if he was alright as Henry had paused his hiking story. Shaking his head, Henry finished the anecdote, then continued the conversation for a bit longer then excused himself and left the table, hoping that Bancroft wouldn't connect it to her getting under his skin.

Exiting the room that they had hired, Henry explored the rest of the hotel, marvelling at the architecture. He imagined how excited Corinna would be if she could see it too. After a while, he found a set of open doors that led out to a balcony overseeing the enormous garden outside. Henry leaned against the marble balcony, half-heartedly sipping from his glass of wine.

This moment of quiet was short-lived.

"Best."

Henry turned and saw that Antonette had followed him. "Bancroft." He nodded, taking a quick sip of wine in hopes of appearing nonchalant about her sudden appearance.

"What are you doing here?" asked Bancroft as she stepped closer to the edge of the balcony. "You're one of the guests of honour. You should be back inside schmoozing and soaking up all of the compliments."

After entertaining the thought of pushing Bancroft off the balcony, Henry answered, "I just needed some air."

"I know you overheard me," said Bancroft, looking out over the garden. "I know what I said hurt you."

Henry was about to deny but then sensed in her voice something he had not expected. It was not mocking or vile but quiet and soft.

"I didn't know she was your second-cousin. Even when I did finally learn, I did not think she meant that much to you. Most people don't even know their second-cousin's name." She glanced back at Henry. "It was obvious, your expression from earlier at the table, that what I said hurt you. You need to be more careful. If they find out that you are biased, they'll move you to another sector, maybe even demote you."

"Isn't that what you want?" said Henry through gritted teeth, preventing too much bitterness from escaping. His eyes then widened when he realised. "Are you planning on blackmailing me?"

Bancroft smirked. "Whilst I do want your job, I want to earn it through my dedication, hard work, and talent... like I should have done. I don't want to get it from blackmail, or as a second choice..." She then turned her head, her eyes locking with Henry and continued, "or because my father handed it to me on a silver platter."

At this comment about his dad, Henry looked away and sipped from his glass.

"Is she really worth protecting?" asked Bancroft. "She committed high treason. I remember when you enjoyed watching murderers and traitors suffering in the Eternal Abyss." The woman stepped back from the balcony. "I suggest that you act like your old self. Otherwise, you won't be able to protect your cousin."

After Bancroft left him alone on the balcony, Henry looked out to the garden. His glass shattered in his grip. He was unable to determine if the red on his hands was wine or blood.