-Chapter 115-

Day: 182

Days Left: 5298

Lives Saved: 0

They walked in silence with only the glowing emerald light of the wisp in the lantern to cut through the darkness of the Eternal Abyss. Harmony carried a large suitcase, the contents a mystery to Corinna. The two travelled close together, their shoulders sometimes lightly brushing against each other, their hands almost touching but hesitant to bridge the gap. Harmony occasionally glanced over to Corinna. When she got caught staring, Corinna would simply smile back.

As they continued to trek further across the dunes, the clouds covering the moon parted, allowing it to cast a soft luminous light on the grey sand. In the distant Harmony heard the gentle rolling of waves. They were almost there.

After trudging up a steep slope, they stopped at the summit. Below them was a long thin stretch of beach. The white sand seemed to be almost shimmering with the moonlight above and was devoid of any rocks or blemishes, just an empty and smooth piece of shore.

Her arm outstretched to the young woman, Harmony motioned to Corinna to follow. Holding her hand loosely in hers, their fingers almost interlocking, uncertain and tentative, Harmony guided Corinna down onto the beach. Once they reached the edge of the shoreline, where the sea lulled back and forth, Harmony stopped. Her hand almost let go of Corinna's. Instead of pulling away completely, the tips of their fingers caressed one another's, only just holding on with a small area of skin. Corinna folded her fingers around Harmony's, reestablishing the connection. Though they were attached, the link was weak like it could be separated at any moment. Harmony constantly shuffled and shifted her feet, restless from standing still.

Corinna let go of Harmony's hand.

Harmony placed the lantern containing the wisp down on the sand, a good distance safe from the tide. She clasped her hands together and closed her eyes, concentrating. A flash of blue light flickered in hands for a fraction of a second then disappeared.

Stirred awake by their slumber due to the sudden use of magic, the native wisps to the beach emerged. Slowly, one by one, different coloured lights gleamed and shone, drifting over towards the two young women. Drawn by their hunger of mana, the wisps circled around Harmony, sensing the magic within her. A few landed on her arms, others on top of her head, their light causing Harmony's short curly hair to glow in a prismatic halo.

Harmony offered her hand out, and Corinna accepted. A few of the wisps hovered over to Corinna. They surrounded her wrist, where the magical contract was, creating a multi-coloured glowing bracelet of wisps. The young woman smiled, captivated by the lights. She glanced up at Harmony and giggled, seeing that she was trying to collect as many green wisps as possible.

Whilst Corinna continued to gaze at the ocean, watching the reflections of the wisps dance in the water, Harmony opened up the suitcase and took out the gramophone, placing it on the sand. After winding it up, she put on a record.

The music was at first quiet and slow, just one simple instrument and melody. Harmony extended her hand out to Corinna and she took it and stepped closer. Her eyes softening, Harmony slowly spun Corinna around which in return Corinna did the same with Harmony having to duck down due to the height difference. They swayed slightly to the simple and gentle melody both waiting for their cue.

The instrument held onto its last note, trailing off into silence. After a pause, it blared into a crescendo joined by multiple instruments. On that beat, Harmony twirled Corinna around, and they began to dance.

After half a year's worth of practice with Harmony, Corinna had greatly improved her dancing ability. Though she was nowhere near as skilled and graceful as Harmony, she could at least keep up.

As the young women danced and spun around on the beach, the wisps swirled around them in a haze of glowing rainbow lights. Corinna's white dress became a kaleidoscope of colour, ever-changing and shifting as it fluttered and whirled when she danced. Two wisps were drawn to the magic of the gramophone and circled around the two holographic dances.

No longer were the two women hesitant to touch. It seemed like their bodies were connected and acting as one to the rhythm of the song. Even when for a moment their hands let go they would return straight away, back into the other's arms. Their hands supported each other's backs, holding onto their waist, clutching onto their shoulder. There was no need for words, with just even a look they could predict the other, knowing what the next move was, where they were heading next. Their expressions mirrored the other's; giggling grins; flushed cheeks from the energy of the dance; eyes brightened.

The song was soon to come to an end but neither relented. They continued with even more energy and vigour than before. Maybe if they kept on dancing, then it would never end.

But it did.

The last note in the song sounded and faded into silence. Corinna and Harmony stood still, their bodies locked together, their heartbeats thumping loudly, their breaths heavy.

The next song played. It was quiet and slow. The change was too sudden, everything was different. They tried to continue dancing, but they were now out of synch, unable to predict the other's moves like they were listening to two completely different songs. Their feet tripped and stumbled over each other despite the slow tempo. Too focused on making sure they wouldn't accidentally hurt the other, they drifted apart, their bodies no longer so entwined and connected like before.

Corinna attempted to bridge the gap, placing Harmony's hand on her waist. Harmony held onto it loosely, hesitantly. Her fingers caressed the material, feeling the stitching that she had done to fix the white dress. It was the same dress that Corinna had worn when she had first arrived, where Harmony had clung onto her so tightly that her claws tore it. But now she could barely hold on. The tips of her fingers were all that remained touching Corinna's waist, almost just hovering over it.

The song ended. The record on the gramophone continued to spin around but with no more music to play.

Corinna gazed up at Harmony, her lips slightly parted, wanting to say something.

Harmony glanced away. "We should head back..."

---------------------------------

Recommended Song for Chapter

Song: Sing It Back 

Artist: Moloko (Original)/ SwinGrowers (Remix)

---------------------------------