-Chapter 103-

Day: 127

Days Left: 5353

Lives Saved: 0

It had been a long day, and Queen Corinna just wanted it to be finally over. Ever since her reign began, she had tried to rule the country with as little human interaction as possible, but today she was unable to do so. The people needed to see her, to see her grieving, to know that she too was still upset over her mother, the late Queen Henrietta's death.

But she wasn't.

In fact, she felt nothing.

There was just emptiness, not an emptiness that had once been filled but one that had never been. It was always there waiting for something to occupy it, the queen had wanted it to be, or rather expected it to be, but it never did. And now it was perhaps too late.

You are supposed to feel something for your mother, aren't you? Queen Corinna thought.

She definitely felt something towards her father, though not a particularly happy emotion. Even after his death, it still festered inside her but at least now that he was no longer around it couldn't grow and spread.

A thought sprung up in her mind. She almost laughed at it due to how ridiculous it was. But she humoured it then almost wanted to act upon it.

How would talking to her sister make anything better? Yet somehow the urge was there. They both felt the same in regards to their parents. Perhaps she would understand how she was feeling.

Nevertheless, it was impossible. Alfreda would never speak to her. Not after what she did. And Queen Corinna wouldn't speak to her after what Alfreda had done either.

Deep in thought, the monarch continued to aimlessly walk along the castle corridors. The castle had been her home ever since she was born, yet even now, when she owned the place, she had little freedom. Guards and servants were always constantly patrolling the area, ensuring her safety and well-being. The Queen felt more like a cherished pet than a ruler. Fortunately, with the aid of her magic, she could wander around and gain a little sense of privacy, but it could never last long. Of course, Corinna IX was still sensible, making sure that her golem assistant, Jane, was by her side at all times who was programmed in self-defence. 

She stopped at the art gallery, her feet had subconsciously drawn her to the place. Opening the door with a wave of her hand, Queen Corinna entered and ambled up the corridors, staring at the portraits of the previous royals dating back several centuries. Near the end of the gallery was the artwork of her own family. The largest one was a portrait that reached the ceiling and framed in gold. It depicted her parents with Alfreda and herself standing in front of them, everyone putting on a pretend smile. This was one of the few pictures where her parents and herself weren't wearing their masks. Alfreda, being a self-proclaimed rebel, had never worn one despite it being a family tradition.

The door to the exit of the gallery swung open and in strutted a young woman dressed in a black mermaid gown, decorated with silver roses and feathers, along with a black veil.

Queen Corinna almost swore out loud, recognising who it was. She had been trying to avoid her ever since the ceremony had ended. But it was too late to escape, she had already been noticed.

"Oh, my goodness!" Duchess Sophia Vipond squealed upon seeing her cousin. "I am truly sorry. I did not realise Your Majesty would be here." She gave a curtsey.

Hoping that Vipond would leave if she ignored her, Queen Corinna made no response, pretending to take an interest in a nearby portrait but it backfired.

Duchess Vipond stood by Queen Corinna's side and gazed up at the portrait. It was of the queen's parents, both of them wearing their masks.

"Your Majesty must miss your mother deeply," said Vipond.

The queen made no response.

Vipond sighed, one that was perhaps a bit too dramatic and over-rehearsed. "I still miss my mother even after all these years. Though I was quite young when she died. It was... so tragic." The duchess dabbed her eyes lightly with an embroidered handkerchief.

Queen Corinna realised that due to the requirement for monarchs to be mages, it meant that her cousin would be next in line for the throne. She feared if that day ever came. With how frivolous Sophia Vipond was, just like Alfreda, the country would be bankrupt within a week. Groaning, the queen made a reluctant mental note that she would have to birth an heir soon to prevent that catastrophe from happening.

"But I cannot imagine what Your Majesty must be feeling... losing both your parents." The duchess turned to face the queen, almost reaching out to hold her hand but decided against it. Instead, Vipond forced a smile. "Are we talking through Jane today?" 

Giving an elegant bow to Jane, the golem assistant, Vipond continued her one-sided conversation by addressing the human-like servant. 

"You shouldn't be alone, Cori," she said. "I've invited you to all of my dinner parties, yet you have not shown up to a single one." Vipond paused, waiting for a response either from the queen or Jane. She received none but still continued, "if you would prefer... it could just me instead, no other guests. Just you and me... and Alfreda of course."

At the mention of her sister's name, Queen Corinna stiffened.

"I do miss her ever so much!" Vipond made another forlorn sigh. "I miss you both dearly. Remember how we had dinner parties every week when we were younger? And we had dress fittings together?"

Queen Corinna wanted to correct her, that she barely attended those events, it was mostly just Sophia and Alfreda. The two were so alike, more like sisters than herself and Alfreda had ever been.

Fortunately, Duchess Vipond changed the subject back to her own tragic loss of her mother for a good ten minutes then bid the queen farewell. Even though the duchess loved to talk, she only enjoyed it when there was an active audience, and she was certainly not going to find one with her cousin.