He Doesn't Like Me, He Likes Me...Duh

For a place that Jade would rather not be, she was sure enough enjoying herself. Yes, she had to carry boxes around and stack books up by their order, but the atmosphere made her feel at home. Josh had showed her around the facilities and even gave her a discount card, to buy books. She didn't think it mattered much, but it was a nice gesture.

"Excuse me," Jade said to a couple in the Romance isle. She was carrying a couple of books that had to be placed with the author. She bit her bottom lip looking to find the authors. Resulting to get on her hands and knees, she found them at the bottom shelf. Sighing she noticed she was in the H section and smirked. Looking around on the bottom two shelves she finally found what she was looking for. "Zachary Harris's 'Loves a Plenty'," Jade whispered out and pulled the book off the shelf.

"I see you're a hardworking employee," Josh said from the end of the isle. Looking up Jade smiled slightly and tucked Zach's book under her arm. She grabbed the last book, she had to categorize, placing it where it belonged.

"Well I would hope to think I am, I do want to get paid! Or I've been doing all this shit for nothing and someone's going to have to pay...and I'm not talking about paying me with the green," Jade laughed out. She slowly stood up and pulled the book out from under her arm and looked at it.

"Ah! I see you've found Zach's book. It's very good I think, but I maybe saying that because I'm a friend and a fan," Josh said after noticing it.

"Yea well I saw it just sitting there. I've never seen it or read it before," Jade admitted.

"It's pretty good I think it would mean a lot to him if you read it!"

Jade smiled and flipped the book over to look at the price. Her eyes widened and she gave a whistle. "Wow! No wonder he's still getting money. This book cost $35.50!"

"Well he did some magazine interviews and he's considered to be the new hot young author, nowadays," Josh said. Jade sighed and bent down to place the book back, when Josh's hand stopped her. "What are you doing?"

"I can't afford this!"

"You can't? Well then just take it anyway and let me pay for it!" Josh said. Jade couldn't believe he was serious. She didn't need anyone doing her any kinds of favors, but something in Josh's eyes made her want to take the offer. She smiled and stood back up and hugged the book to her chest.

"Thanks! But, I'm going to pay you back," she told him.

"No, no, no I won't have it since you're my friend's stepsister," Josh said. "Come on let me pay for it, because the store's going to close any minute!" Jade slowly followed to the cash registers.

After, Josh paid for her book Jade sat herself on a chair behind a cashier's desk. She tightly held onto her bag and she watched everyone leave and Josh ring up some little kid's book. Everyone else had left work because Josh wanted to close up the store. He didn't seem to trust anyone else to close up except for him. Come to thank of it, Josh was a very good manager. She had seen him smile and become friendly with his employees. It seemed like every one of them showed him the highest respect for it. She looked over at him smile at the customer...Josh deserved all of it! The respect that is!

"Come on let's go," Josh told Jade after turning off the lights. She pushed in her chair and ran up behind him.

"I didn't' think it could get so busy around here,' Jade said as Josh held the door for her.

"You should see it when it's exam time," Josh joked. "There's my car." Jade looked the way he pointed at a silver Lexus and smiled. Josh pushed her lightly on the back to get her to move, since she seemed to be in total awe.