Dollhouse Part 2

Guests poured in through the large door once the celebration started, all dressed in the fanciest possible outfit they could find. Some of them took it seriously, eager to please both the old and the new preacher, while others merely did it as a formality - to keep up appearances. Lock, perched atop an expensive chair, took note of as many guests as he could. The Karma twins were noticed, of course, and Ted didn't bother hiding his glare. Their sister was with them, though she looked indifferent about the whole thing. They wore the colors of the house their family were the servants of, house Topper, represented by clubs. Their outfits were a mix of green and black that Lock couldn't begin to imagine wanting to wear - not that he enjoyed his preacher clothes, either. Alice was dressed similarly to Lily, with Rem by her side, wearing the colors of house Morpheus, black and blue - also a horrible combination.

Lock stopped taking note of the guests the moment he set eyes on Sebastian Topper. The two looked at each other, smiles in place, and the man moved forward, ready to perform his duty. Unlike his sister and servants, his clothes were not house-colored, and he instead opted for an equally ridiculous pink suit.

"I see you still have no respect for tradition," grunted William from Lock's right, giving Sebastian a disapproving look, which only seemed to delight the younger man.

"Nonsense, my preacher - ah, former preacher, of course." Lock could feel his father's grip on the chair tighten, as he slightly lifted the front off the guard. "I do come bearing gifts, as is my duty as head of house Topper." Sebastian gestured toward Lily, who was a few feet behind him, and she handed him the book she was carrying, which the man then handed to Lock. "I wish you the best of luck in completing your task, my preacher. I'd have for something to happen to you. The task being such a difficult one worries me so."

Taking the book, Lock didn't bother to read the cover, and instead handed it to the butler who was with him, who then placed it on the table where all of the gifts would go. "You warm my heart with your kind words, lord Sebastian. Rest assured, I fully intend on finding the Head Hunter."

The man nodded, then practically pranced away, and started talking to Oscar, who looked like he wasn't expecting that to happen. Lock and he exchanged a worried look, but couldn't actually do anything about it, since the head of the Morpheus house stepped forward next.

"Quit lookin' so stiff, kid," said Belladonna, a woman slightly older than his parents, handing him a sword sheathed in a white scabbard. "You'll do fine."

William looked displeased again, but didn't voice his disapproval this time.

Lock couldn't help but wonder how Rem often came off so formal, having been raised by a woman like that, who acted the same during special occasions as she did in everyday life.

The third person to approach him was Glinda Clover, the oldest head of a house. The old woman was carrying something that resembled a cane or a scepter. It was made entirely of gold, and had a red ruby embedded on top. Not bothering to smile, she handed Lock the gift, then bowed her head slightly. "I hope you're better than your grump of a father."

"Watch your mouth, old woman," William snapped.

"Don't you hiss at me, little boy. I was there when you still soiled your diapers."

"You will show me the respect I deserve."

"That's exactly what I'm showing you right this moment."

With a huff, she turned around and stomped away.

Glaring at his son, William nodded, so Lock stood up, getting the attention of everyone in the large room. Since he typically either kept to himself or stuck with a small group of people, his nerves were going haywire, and he almost let his composure drop.