Hearts Ablaze, Banners High Part 2

When Vanitas got to Camelot, he instantly realized that the people had already prepared themselves. Archers and catapults were spread atop the city walls, and there was a barrier surrounding it. Merlin was standing there, too.

The old sorcerer raised his hand, and the archers readied their bows.

"This will be your one and only warning, fallen angel," Merlin spoke, using magic to amplify the strength of his voice. As the soldiers heard it, they felt their courage burn brighter. "You cannot defeat us all. Leave now, and never return."

Glen, who was standing on the giant owl's back, replied, "You underestimate us, Merlin. What's a mere city compared to most of the universe? Pandora opposed us, and now it is gone. Surrender, or meet the same fate."

Merlin grunted. "You cannot fool us. We know our fear is what your master is truly after. We will not be allowed to surrender."

"Your fear is not needed anymore," Glen called back. "We know about the two elementals you keep hidden in the catacombs beneath the city. The death of Morgan Le Fay has confirmed the theory that, should the elementals die, the seal will break, and the darkness will spread."

"Spread over us all," Merlin snapped. "There can be no bargaining with one who seeks to destroy everything."

"And rebuild!" Glen bellowed, eyes glinting like those of a true fanatic. "The master will remake everything! He will make a better universe! What does your god care for you? What has he done for you? Plagued you with pain, as he has us all. You needn't kneel to him anymore. There is a much better altar to worship at now. Join us - all of you join us - and your troubles will be washed away."

The words had absolutely no affect on the knights.

"We serve king Arthur!" one of them yelled.

"The Pendragon crown will not be destroyed by the likes of you!"

"Silence!" Glen roared, shutting them up. he glared at Merlin, hate burning inside of him. "Shall we start then, you old fool?"

Merlin nodded, letting the wind lift him up. Glen did the same, leaving the owl's side. The two sorcerers got down on the ground in front of the city walls, staring at each other.

Vanitas didn't wait for them to finish, and flew straight into Camelot. Arrows were shot at him, but he started swirling as he flew, deflecting them all. Every now and then, the catapults would launch the rocks inside of them, but the angel simply dodged them all. He flew toward the walls and lifted up one of the catapult's in his giant leg, then knocked it down along with the men operating it. They crashed down into the city, and the weapon was destroyed.

"You know they can't win," Glen said, the ground beneath him turning to mud, which then started rising into the air in the form of earthly tentacles. "The longer the fight lasts, the more your men will be afraid. Eventually, my master might even become strong enough to take his true form once more."

Merlin started. "What do you mean?"

Glen beamed at him, sending the tentacles forward. The old man turned them into ice with a wave of his hand, then shattered them into tiny pieces, which he sent flying back. Glen thrust out his hand, and the ice shards turned to water, which then took the shape of a shark.

"You didn't actually think my master would be content with living in the body of a mere boy?"

"But the prophecy-" Merlin started, but Glen waved him off, sending the shark to attack. Merlin evaporated it with a blast of fire.

"The prophecy doesn't make it clear who would win between light and darkness. Why on earth would my master follow an uncertain destiny? As soon as he takes his true form, he'll be powerful enough to break the laws of the universe. Not even the archangels will be able to stand in his way."