We're All Mad Here Part 2

Lily, Chris and Ted, who had managed to catch up to them in time, were walking toward the church where Abaddon, and presumably Robin, were waiting for them. The sun had already started to set, so there weren't that many people still outside. Nevertheless, they decided to mostly travel through alleys, to avoid being seen by someone from Charlotte's faction.

"Are we really gonna do this?" Ted asked, clutching the scepter. "What if we lose?"

Lily grinned at him. "Guess we've lived a good one."

"Hardy har har."

"Relax, would you?" the girl said. "The only reason they ever came after us was because we were with Lock. At the very least, we should deal with the sleepers. If Lock still fails, and their angel is revived, that's on him. Besides, I think saving my life's earned him that much, at the very least."

Chris looked at her skeptically at the mention of that. "If he saved your life, that is."

His siblings turned to him, looking confused. "What do you mean?" asked Ted.

"The Head Hunter hunts heads."

"Dear lord, man, you're a genius!"

"Lily was attacked by someone swinging a sword on a downward motion."

"So?"

"Is that how you would cut a head off?"

That finally made Ted stop and think. "You don't think it was Charlotte?"

Chris nodded. Lily gasped.

"That would totally explain why the guy was bigger than her!"

"But," Ted continued,"who was it that attacked her, then?"

Chris shrugged. "I have a few theories. Now's not the time."

They finally got to the front door of the church, and were gathering enough courage to step in.

"I guess this is it," Ted said.

"I guess so," Lily added. "If something happens..."

"It won't," Ted assured her, grabbing her hand. "But if it does..."

She squeezed him back. "It won't."

"Yeah."

Chris took the initiative, and pushed the door open.

Just like Lock predicted, Abaddon was waiting for them, standing on the platform where the former preachers used to stand during mass. The woman cackled when she heard the door creak. The air in the church was already heated.

"So the hatter actually did something right for a change! Well now, boy, I guess you're not as smart as you think you-" She stopped upon seeing who it was that entered. "Only you three?"

Lily's shadow extended, and Bandersnatch slowly started coming out. "I guess he's still smarter than you. Lock saw your trap coming from a mile away. Didn't even take him a minute to puzzle it out."

Abaddon snarled, summoning a ball of fire. "Your little preacher sent you to die for him. Goes to show how corrupt the followers of Samael truly are. Tell me; Do you think he'll mourn over your burning remains?"

"And what did your friends do, exactly?" Lily replied. "Sending you here alone, to face a full group - do you really think they're expecting you to survive this?"

Ted was holding the scepter behind his back now, waiting to catch the sleeper off guard.

"Friends?" Abaddon cackled. "The hatter and I are not friends! We serve the same master, but that's where our similarities end! He only cares about his own goals. I am the Fallen Earl's most loyal follower. Once he rises, I'll rise with him, and be rewarded for all my years of devotion, while the hatter is left in the dirt, regretting his selfish human nature."