Dropped a Bridge on Him

"So that failed," Lit said once he and Lock were a good distance away from the fairy forest. They were too tired to keep moving, so the current field they were on would have to serve as their resting ground for the night. "The mirror is his. The sword is his. Your brother is his."

"You don't need to remind me," Lock snapped. "I was there." He dropped to his knees then, struggling to catch his breath.

"Is being a hero always this rewarding?"

Lock looked up at the crescent moon. "I wouldn't know much about that."

These words confused the elf. "I thought you were the savior or something."

"Does it seem like I saved someone to you?"

They stopped bickering after that, and just lied on the grass. When it became too cold, Lit crawled over to where Lock was and pressed up against him from behind.

"I believe I already said no."

"I can take a hint. Doesn't mean I wish to freeze to death."

"Right," Lock replied, rolling his eyes. Still, he found the warmth comforting, and pushed back a little bit. They slept like that for a few hours, too exhausted to care about no one standing guard.

Lock once again found himself at the dinner table, Alice sitting on the opposite side from him.

"What the hell was that?" he asked. "Back then, with Vanitas and Glen, I mean."

"I possessed him," the girl explained. "It's hard to do, and he keeps kicking me out. Seems to be something only I'm capable of. Sebastian's had no luck."

"I don't think I should pull you here by the way," Lock then said, surprising her.

"What do you mean?"

"We failed back then. We failed spectacularly. We went in with two weapons, and left without any, and Vanitas still has Ozzie. This world isn't safe to be in."

"You're more right than you know."

"Huh?"

Alice leaned forward. "He told me he's sent soldiers to Camelot. He mentioned some spell he cast on it being broken, too. I don't think you should go back there. Also, Camelot is real? Really?"

"Merlin and Arthur, too, but that's not the point. He sent fairy knights after Camelot?"

"He wants to cause strife through war, so that he can get stronger. There's something else I have to tell you." Alice felt something dragging her from the dream, but fought to stay in. "Your mother is here, and she's not who she says she is."

Lock reached across the table and grabbed her hand, holding her in place. "What do you mean?"

"Her memories are fake. It's an angel. There are others here, too. Rem and Crispin among them."

"Uncle Oscar? My father?"

The girl shook her head, her body starting to fade away. "I didn't see them. It's like a cult here, Lock. Any place is safer than this. The angel inside your mom says they need to put their soul into my body. She said I'm their reincarnation or something."

That's when the blonde Alice, who was at the head of the table as always, stood up. She got unto the table, then started kicking the dishes everywhere.

"Lacie," Lock whispered. "She's connected to Vanitas. When I took your form earlier-"

"When you what?"

"Magic. Just shut up and listen. He knew your face. It's Lacie - it has to be Lacie. She's his weakness!"

Alice shook her head, frantically trying to stay in the dream. "He doesn't love her anymore. He's void of love now."