Dance of The Sugar Plum Angel Part 2

Lock found Allen just before the fairies arrived in Camelot.

"Horrible, stupid idea," he said. "Why didn't you tell Merlin the truth?"

"The last time I acted on me own, your brother nearly lost his head, Alice got kidnapped, and I became a fallen angel's bitch." He was referring to the deal he had made with Vanitas, of course. To escape with his life, Allen had promised the Fallen Earl a favor. "Didn't want you to get mad again."

Lock sighed, taking the other's hand in his. They were standing at the front gates now, and were the first ones there. Merlin would be joining them soon. "You're not some hindrance, you know."

"I know."

"I wanted you on my side for a reason."

"I know. It's just..."

"Just what?"

Allen looked glum. "Back then, I had Manticore. Here, I'm nothing. You're practically the strongest man in the whole city. I'm just... me."

Standing on the tips of his toes, Lock crashed his mouth into Allen's. The kiss lasted for several minutes, until a fake cough from Merlin made them part. "Just you is all I'm asking for."

The redhead's face turned crimson, perfectly matching his head. He took a step back without another word, and his boyfriend couldn't help but smirk, glad that some things hadn't changed.

"They're coming," the old sorcerer said. "Go."

Allen hesitated, but a nod from Lock made him obey.

Within moments, a flock of swans was in front of the city walls. Lock looked up at them, confused, and then they slowly started descending. As each one landed, it turned into a well-dressed fairy. There had to be at least twenty of them. Once all of the swans were gone from the sky, Lock looked around, trying to find his brother's face within the crowd.

Finally, a black owl landed in front of him, then slowly turned back to its original form.

"I thought I'd make an entrance," Vanitas said, smiling softly. "I hear magic is all the rage these days." His voice made Lock's skin crawl. It sounded like a distant echo of his brother's, just as the face seemed like a twisted reflection of Ozzie's.

"We are glad you could join us, king Oberon," Merlin said politely, bowing. Lock tried to force his spine to obey, but it wouldn't.

Not to Vanitas.

"I must say," the fallen angel spoke casually, "I was quite surprised when I received an invitation. I had thought for sure that the former queen would try to contact you in some way, and use the chance to smear my name." His gaze was questioning, but Merlin's patience was infinite and unrelenting.

"Nothing of the sort has happened, I assure you."

The frown on the face Lock refused to recognize as Ozzie's made it seem like tensions were about to rise, especially since Merlin, too, was frowning, but the Fallen Earl simply smiled again, only letting his annoyance, which was enough for Lock to assume he was aware of Titania's visit, out to play for a moment. "Well then. Shall we go?"

The walk to the castle was mostly silent, though both Lock and Vanitas had a lot to say.

Lock took in his brother's appearance, and noted that Oz hadn't aged at all. His features seemed slightly sharper, but that was probably a result of Vanitas' arrogance replacing Ozzie's lack of confidence.

"Swans, huh?" Lock then said. "Why birds all of a sudden?"

"Now, why would you say it like that? Were you expecting me to be something else?"