...And All The King's Men

Having decided not to even try going to his own home, Lock headed straight for his uncle's place, accompanied by Crispin and Lily. The man looked surprised once he opened the door and, for once, did not get caught in the middle of anything.

"You know, the shelter is only a shelter if you actually stay in there," he said, moving to let the three enter. "I take it I'm not going to like this visit. Am I?"

"You never got around to questioning aunt Charlotte," Lock said, getting straight to the point, not even sitting down. "You have to know she's the most likely suspect."

Nervously scratching his neck, Oscar avoided eye contact. "I just can't seem to find a motive, Lock."

Lily rolled her eyes, but didn't say a thing.

"Uncle, you 're not exactly in the position to remain objective. There's no clear goal behind the Head Hunter killings, so the motive doesn't matter. We need to question her."

"That might be a tad difficult."

Lock's eyes narrowed. "She still hasn't returned?"

"No," the man sighed. "I don't think she's ever coming back."

"Smart woman," whispered Lily. "Where could she be staying? Any family?"

"They wouldn't have taken her in," Lock answered. "She was at our place one morning, but I don't know if she remained there. I don't see my father allowing that."

"Only one way to make sure, no?" the girl asked. "You can't go in, and we can't go in, but he can." She flicked her hand toward Oscar. "Just say you're looking for your wife. No reason for anyone to get suspicious."

"You've missed two school days now. Everyone's going to be suspicious after seeing you here," the knave said. "Until the Head Hunter is dealt with, you lot shouldn't really be leaving the house in the woods. Lock will need the full authority of a preacher to actually have any hold over William. I still can't believe he's working with the sleepers. That seems like something he'd consider beneath him - fowl, sinful, that sort of stuff."

"Maybe you have more in common than you thought," Lily stung. "Really, it's possible your wife's a serial killer, and you haven't noticed it. Your judgment of your brother doesn't really scream 'reliable.'"

"Have I done something horrible to you, girl?"

"Not to me personally, no. I just hate cheaters. All women do, by the way."

"I guess I've had that coming. Still, if you're here looking to talk to Charlotte, I won't be able to help you. Your mom's the one who probably knows where she's staying."

Lock cursed under his breath, then started pacing. "Uncle Oscar, can I have Crispin invite her here?"

"Yeah, of course," the man replied. "Isn't she just gonna go blabbing to my brother, though?"

"Not if she actually plans to keep calling herself my mother. Crispin, sent a letter to the Baskerville mansion, please. Tell her to come here immediately."

Without a word, the boy brought out his angel and closed his eyes, focusing on the message. Once he was done, the crane started flying away, but had to have the door opened for it first.

"There's something I have to take care of, by the way," said Lily, walking over to the door. "Don't worry. I'll stay safe."

"No one was worried," Lock whispered, then raised his voice. "Can't it wait?"

"Heard that, asshole - and no, it can't."

"I'm glad you did. Don't take too long, ok?"

The girl nodded, then left the house, slamming the door shut behind her.