We're All Mad Here

"Stay the hell away from us," Lock spat, staring at the cat. "Allen, bring out Manticore."

"Not gonna help any," the redhead replied. "He can get way bigger than that. Besides, I'm kinda gettin' tired here."

"Let Cheshire in?" the cat asked, its palm pressed against the window. "Master Oz, let Cheshire in?"

Even Ozymandias Baskerville wasn't gullible enough to fall for that. "Go away, Cheshire."

The cat's ears fell back, and it meowed sadly.

"You're sure it was him?" Oz asked, looking at Allen.

"Yeah, no mistaking that stupid grin. We're gonna have to run for it."

"No," Lock said, grabbing the sleeve of Allen's jacket, preventing him from leaving. "If he was capable of going big, he would've done it by now," he whispered, not letting the angel hear him. "He also would've done it before, while he was with us. There must be a catch to his power. He might only be able to use it under certain circumstances or something, or it might be very taxing, just like it is for an even to use their angel."

"If you'd like to test that theory, that's on you," Ted added. "I'm not staying here and getting killed. Who's carrying Oz?"

Allen grunted. "I guess I can use Manticore for at least that much."

"We can't run," Lock said. "If Dum is with them, we're screwed. The only thing we can do here is hope Dum is on our side - or at least neutral - and that Cheshire is weak. There's no fight to be won. Shit, I knew I should've stopped those two."

"Well I'm not letting them in," Ted added. "This is a safe place, right? Maybe they can't get in unless we invite them?"

"I'm not about to depend on something I don't understand," reasoned Lock, then took a step forward. "Maybe if we just try to invite one of them in?"

Cheshire meowed again.

"Not him," Allen said. "Invite the doll."

"He's not a doll," sulked Ted, and Lock opened the window.

"Come in, Dum."

The angel obeyed, and immediately flew toward Ted, then landed on his shoulder.

"Um, so, what's happe-" the boy tried asking, then noticed there were cuts and bruises all over the puppet. "What the hell? Why aren't they healing."

"Of course!" Allen exclaimed, earning everyone's attention. "To heal, angels retreat back into the shadows of their eves. The doll doesn't have an eve anymore, so any damage it sustains is permanent."

"You mean..." Ted started, but didn't need to finish, because Allen immediately nodded.

"Yeah. He can die now. It's probably the same for all angels."

"Oh, fuck," Lock suddenly exclaimed. "We need to hurry after Chris and Lily."

"What?" Ted asked. "Why?"

"I forgot something - or rather, someone."

"What do you mean? Are they in trouble?"

Looking away, inwardly cursing himself, Lock nodded. "Maybe. When I was asking uncle Oscar about the people who were there, he mentioned Abaddon leaving, but he never mentioned Robin at all. If they're together, angels can't beat them. Quick, go up to my room and get my scepter, will you? You can use that."

"I can?" Ted blinked. "Why not you?"

"Me needing to stay hidden hasn't changed. It's something anyone can use, so you'll have to do. Get it from under my bed, then head after them. Hurry!"