Dance of The Sugar Plum Angel

When Lock awoke, he realized he was back at the cottage he shared with his mentor.

"Now you've done it, boy," Merlin said, tone full of disapproval. "Death magic is forbidden for a reason. Why would you go and do such a thing? I'd've thought you'd have more sense than that."

They boy got out of bed. "I had to make him interested."

"Come again?"

"The new threat inside the forest - this Oberon. He's safe as long as he's in there, since our magic can't harm his subordinates. I let him know he has enemies, so that he'll be forced to go on the offensive."

Merlin sighed. "So I was right about you manipulating the king. There is such a thing as being too abrasive, you know."

"It needed to be done. The king can't rule on his own."

"That doesn't mean you should lie to him. The boy looks up to you; You must know that. If you told him the truth, he'd listen."

"I'm not willing to take that chance." He hadn't been willing to take it with Chris, Ted, Lily and even Allen back in Pandora, either. Some things didn't change.

"A good thing I went ahead and interfered," Merlin said, and Lock turned toward him.

"Come again?"

"There will be no war. I assured Arthur we were both in a fowl mood that day, and that we might try to establish an alliance with Oberon instead."

"You did what!?" After thinking about the old man's words some more, Lock asked a different question. "That day?"

"As I said, my foolish pupil; Death magic is forbidden for a reason. You've lost a whole week."

The young sorcerer cursed inwardly. "You should have woken me up sooner."

"No. I should have had you thrown into the dungeons for treason. Clean yourself up and put on your official robes. We are both expected to attend."

Lock almost gasped. "The ball is today?"

"Indeed. We'll be meeting this Oberon at the gates of Camelot. It's the king's prerogative to use us in any way he sees fit, and Arthur has chosen to have us make sure there be no fowl play. Can I trust you?"

The boy was aware of his mentor's uncanny ability to see through lies. "I'll do what's for the best."

"That would be telling me why the fairy queen's mirror was inside your pocket."

Lock's magic spiked with his anger, but it went away in an instant. He wasn't foolish enough to pick a fight with Merlin - not yet, anyway.

"It's a useful tool."

"But why would it be of use to you?"

"Why do you care?"

"Did you lie about her attacking you just so you could have it?"

"No," Lock said honestly, trusting the old man's instincts to confirm it. "She really did attack me. I took the mirror after that."

"And you'll be using it for...?"

"It's really none of your business."

"Inter-realm relations are a thing of utmost sensitivity, boy. I can't let a child tamper with it, even if the child is a prodigy. You will tell me what you need it for, or you won't be seeing it again."

Sighing, the boy realized there no was use relying on trickery. "I'm not from Azteca."

"I gathered as much."