Chapter 8

Franki's POV

KINABUKASAN

Tinry kong matutong magbake ng chocolate cupcakes. Tinulungan naman ako ni Diana habang focus ako sa measurements na nakasulat sa cookbook.

"Diana, ano bang isusulat ko tungkol sayo?."

"Ano bang nakikita mo sakin?."

"Maganda ka--"

"So I'm just eye catching?."

"Huh?."

"Nakita ko yung caption mo sa pictures ko. Pretty captures the eyes but beauty captures the heart. Hello Diana, you captured a heart today."

"Ah yun hehe."

"So, who's heart is captured that day?."

Mine.

"Y-yung boss ko nga. Diba pinahanap ka pa sakin?. Siguro may nakita siya about you."

"Oh."

"Bakit?. Ano bang iniisip mo?."

"Wala naman."

"Diana, ba't di ka nalang magbase sa cook book pag nagluluto ka?. In that way di mo na kailangang tikman ang niluluto mo."

"Gusto ko kasi lahat ng dish na niluluto ko may twist. So pano ko malalaman na masarap yung kalalabasan?. At gusto ko na laging bago, hindi yung paulit ulit nalang yung kinakain ng mga tao."

"Andito naman ako, I can be your assistant. I believe that human beings are just extensions of each other. Diba nga tuturuan kita how to taste with other senses?. Pero dapat muna magawa ko na ang feature story mo."

"Ano bang sa tingin mo ang story ko?."

"That you're a chef who lost her sense of taste."

"That's it?."

"Yes. Meron pa ba?."

"Okay, ikaw bahala."

"Bakit?. Ano bang gusto mong isulat ko for you."

"Wala."

"Ano nga?."

Kriiing.

"Wait lang, si Boss tumatawag."

Hello Boss Q.

Musta na yung pinapatrabaho ko sayo?.

Tapos na po yung dalawang stories, konting edit nalang.

Yung pangatlo?.

Eto na nga po, pinag-uusapan namin ang story niya.

Yan ba yung model mo?.

Opo. The story is that she's a chef who lost her sense of taste and nalugi ang pinapatakbo niyang restaurant na namana niya pa from her ancestors.

Yun lang?.

Opo.

I don't think we could publish that story, masyadong malungkot. How could we motivate or inspire others with that story?. Ano? May iba ba siyang work ngayon?.

Wala po eh.

So yun lang yun?. She just gave up?.

Ginagawan naman po niya ng paraan. She still loves cooking. She's searching for ways on how to overcome all of this. Kaya pwede po nating e-include ang journey niya.

But how long is that journey going to take?. Franki, your deadline is next month baka nakakalimutan mo.

I know po.

I told you to know something good about her and not tell the world how much of a loser she is. Ganun ba kahirap yun?.

How could I tell the world how wonderful she is without making them think that I, the writer of this feature story is head over heels in love with this woman?. Of course, that's it. I'm making them fall in-love with her.

She's not a loser. Life is just unfair to her.

That's the spirit. Now do your job and help that lady stand back up.

Yes sir.

EOC

"Anong sinabi?." Diana asked.

"We're bringing back the best version of Diana Mackey." I smiled at her.

"Tikman na nga natin tong cupcakes na ginawa natin." Sabi ko at sumubo na ng isa.

"Mmm. Diana, ang sarap."

"Talaga?. Pwede mo bang i-describe ang taste and texture?."

"It's like I'm eating a really soft sponge. Wait, the chocolate tastes right. But first, smell it."

"What's that strong sweet smell?."

"It's cola powder. That's the secret ingredient. I used it as a sugar substitute. First lesson you need to know is that when you're eating, other senses affects how the food would taste. Example of this is when you cover your nose while eating, the food seemed to have a different taste or you can't actually recognize what it tastes like. It's all about perception. When it smells good, it gives signal to our brain that it should taste good as well. Same with how you see it."

"How about the perfect amount of condiments or spices?."

"Well, sometimes it's not about how these ingredients are measured to taste good. The purpose of food is to give us energy. Taste and flavor is just for the good experience. Dapat alam mo ang measurements na healthy sa katawan instead of tamang timpla."

"How did you know all about this Franki?. Nag-aral ka rin ba ng culinary?."

"Not from a formal education. I just learned it from the best cook I know."

"Who?."

"My mom. She cooks for me Filipino food, and among all the Filipino dishes I have eaten, her version always tastes the best."

"You know why that happens Franki?. It's because of the universal law of familiarity. Pareho din yan sa love. Actually I agree about your idea of falling in love that we can't control who we fall for. And it is because we are already programmed to fall for certain people."

"I don't believe you."

"Then listen as I explain to you why and how first."

"Sige na nga. Why and how?."

"Hindi mo ba napapansin na you always like the same type of people over and over?. At kahit sabihin mong wala kang particular type na tao, you always find yourself drawn to someone with the same personality or features dun sa mga naging ex mo. And it is not because you remember your ex by their presence, it's because that is what you think is familiar to you."

"Paanong familiar?."

"We tend to fall for people who have a certain resemblance to our parents. Characteristics that we learned to love when we were kids. Like masarap magluto ang mommy mo o magaling mag-ayos ng mga bagay bagay ang daddy mo na it influences your heart and mind's choice of love interest. Because they make you feel safe and at home. And we don't have any control of that. It's not about how much they show their love, it's how they remind you of the love you first understood as a kid."

"Ganun din ba yung ex mo D?. May resemblance din ba siya sa parents mo?."

"Yes. He can cook like my dad, and he's so controlling like my mom."

"Hala, so pati rin bad characteristics?."

"Anything familiar to you. Masama man yan o mabuti. That's the point of love itself, they teach you to love people not just the way they are but also the way they are not."