Chapter 9

Franki's POV

The next day, nag-iisip nako ng isusulat about Diana and the title is: How to wake up a dead dream?.

Nasa park kami dahil sabi niya mas nakakapag-isip ka daw. Nakaupo lang ako sa bench while she's talking to her friends, on how she misses them.

Nakatingin lang ako sa kanya. I started writing,

[ It's funny how ironic life is. Though when experienced, one doesn't tend to laugh.

Diana Cariaga Mackey could capture the eyes of many people around and win their hearts with the food she offers. She is a Chef, a successor of her late Kiwi father who owns the restaurant known as THE MACKEY'S TASTE, that just went into bankruptcy in two years. They were thrown with thousands of complaints from their costumers for having a sudden change of taste and flavor of their dishes that are originally made by Mr. Mackey.

"Only Dad knows how to cook our restaurant's dishes. He always does those in a certain way that it became a master chef's secret. He doesn't keep a cook book. He just needs our help in cooking all of his masterpieces but he never told us what's in his dishes that makes it special." Diana said.

Figuring out her father's secret in cooking could be an easy task for her, but not until one afternoon of September.

"I tried to chase the love of my life and forget my father's dream. Unfortunately, I lost both. I had been into a really traumatic car accident that I lost one the most important senses that I need in my job. The sense of taste. As a chef, that event shattered all of my dreams that I started losing hope for resurrecting dad's hardwork."

Ageusia is the lost of taste functions of the tongue particularly the inability to detect sweetness, sourness,bitterness, saltiness and umami caused by her serious head injury in that mentioned car accident.

"But I'm not giving up. That is the only way to wake up my dead dream. It deserves an afterlife too, a new beginning." ]

Yan pa ang nasusulat ko so far. Nagpaalam na si Diana sa mga kaibigan niya at tumabi na sakin.

"So ano?. Tapos mo na?." Tanong niya.

"Anong tapos eh introduction pa nga lang nasusulat ko eh. Kailangan pa nating sundan ang journey mo sa pagbangon."

"Tamang tama, my friend Veah asked me to join this one- time contest on TV that is happening in 4 days to feature Filipino chefs. All we need is a resume for application. Ang mananalo dun ang ipapadala nila for the International Battle of Taste."

"That's good to hear. I'm sure kayang kaya mo yan."

"Of course, kaya NATIN to. Sasamahan mo naman ako diba?. And tuturuan mo pa ko sa mga techniques na kailangan kong matutunan in cooking tasteless."

"Oo naman. Hindi problema yun.I'm happy na unti unti mo nang naaabot ang pangarap mo."

"And I couldn't thank you enough for making that happen." She said hugging me and I swear, this is the best feeling ever.

Hindi ako mapapagod sa kakasulat about you Diana, and I'm glad that Boss Q chose you to become my subject.

Umuwi kami sa bahay, 7pm na.

Nagluluto kami ngayon ng chopsuey.

Ingredients:
Water
1 carrot sliced into 1/4 inch thick
½ broccoli, cut into florets
½ cauliflower, cut into florets
¼ small cabbage, cut into 1” thick strips
½ small red bell pepper, seeded, cut into strips
½ small bell pepper, seeded, cut into strips
1 tablespoon oil
1-1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch.

Yan lang muna kasi yan lang kaya ng budget namin for this week and di na rin kami masyadong kumakain ng rice.

Tinutulungan ko si Diana kung pano ang tamang measurement ng sangkap and make her memorize kung pano ba ang sobra, kulang at sakto lang visually and base narin sa amoy nito. How it should smell like to make it look like it tastes good.

As expected, madali lang naman syang matuto. At ngayon, unlike nung mga nakaraang araw mas ganado siyang kumain ngayon like she can actually taste what she's eating. Masaya nako na makita siyang ganun.

"Another lesson for today is to know the anatomy of our nose and tongue. Unlike the other senses like sight and hearing, these two depends on reaction of chemicals. We absorb these chemicals that we get from different things or food to identify them. That's why it's hard to mislead people using this two senses compared to sight, hearing, touch, etc."

"What do you mean?."

"For example is sight, there are visual illusions that may trick your brain. Hearing, some things sounds alike."

"How about touch?."

"You know the rubber hand illusion?. It could trick your brain as well. But smell and taste, they're more on telling your brain the truth. A rose would always smell like a rose and an orange will always taste like an orange, raw or ripe. They're always like their own kind."

"But there's one that doesn't look, sound, feel, smell and taste the same Franki and it is in the same kind."

"What?."

"People."

"Ew. Now it sounds so gross. We're eating here."

"What are you talking about?. Wala namang nakakadiri sa sinabi ko."

"Look and sound, okay pa. Pero yung feel, smell and taste. Iba na yun, if this is your idea of a sexual joke hahaha okay it's funny."

"Ano bang sexual joke ang pinagsasabi mo?. They don't feel the same like when you hug them. Some people are just warm and cozy while others are just cold and uncomfortable. They don't smell the same, kasi may ibang ewan ko ba. Hindi siguro uso maligo sa kanila. And taste because some lips are just sweet and some are bitter."

Natawa nalang ako kasi kadiri talaga ang iniisip ko. Haha goodness Franki, why are you so perverted?.

"Hahaha sorry, akala ko kasi ano hahaha."

"Anong ano?."

"Yung ano, basta alam mo na yun."

"Hindi ko nga alam. Ano ba kasi yun?."

"Wala, kalimutan mo na."

"Franki--"

"Wala nga. Sige na, kumain ka nalang. Baka pagsinabi ko mawalan ka ng gana. Respeto lang sa pagkain."

"Okay?."