6. Getting ready

"I need to tell you something."

You were awakened by a loud knocking on your door. You groaned as the light from the hallway lightened up your room, meaning the door was open.

If it wasn't because you just remembered that the thrilling adventure that determines Corona's future begins today, you would have protested against being woken up this way, but now you just threw off your blanket, jumped out off your bed, and stretched happily.

"Good morning, speedy." Eugene laughed, and rubbed your hair, making it even messier.

Speedy was a nickname that he had given to you way back from when you were 5 years old or so. It was because you were so full of energy back then, and then the nickname had kinda stuck to you.

Laughing you pulled his arms away from your hair, only to give him a bone-crushing hug. Just like the ones Rapunzel always used to give you. Before all of this had happened.

"Thank you for letting me tag along." You whispered, burying your head into his chest. Sure he was one big idiot sometimes, but you still loved him, and you weren't afraid to show it.

"Yeah, don't sweat it. Just remember to always be within a 10 feet radius from me, okay?"

You just laughed and got over to the clothes on the chair, that you had put there last evening. It was the best clothes you had to wear on an adventure. It was practical for the circumstances, yet still smart.

You kinda waited for your brother to go out of your room, for you to change, but then he interrupted you, taking the clothes out of your hands.

"You won't be needing that. Xavier has made us some clothes that we're gonna wear out there. Dark-colored, and tight... And some weapons."

You rose a brow. "Weapons? Why would we need weapons?"

Then you remembered the black mamba that you would have to kill, but Eugene just shook his head and sighed. "I need to tell you something."

You nodded, copying his serious face-expression. Something was wrong. And then you noticed the large bags under his eyes. He hasn't slept much this night.

You sat on your bed for him to follow your action. Then you waited patiently for him to speak.

He sighed again, wondering what to say or where to start. "Look... Last night when you and Varian went to bed. Several villagers knocked on the castle's doors, and when Raps, Cass and I went down to check who would interrupt so late, they told us something horrifying. About some black and blue creatures with sharp teeth, and deadly sharp black rocks on their back. We gathered the whole gang, except you and Varian, to see what it was." Eugene paused a little before continuing.

"We were told that they had seen some on their way back from old Corona, and they had started chasing them. Luckily they weren't far away from the bridge at the time, but even so, only 21 out of 28 made it back safely to Corona."

You gasped in horror and held your hand up to your mouth. "How come the... Creatures didn't follow them into Corona?" You asked quietly.

"We've figured that they hate light. Even when it was dark, Corona was still lit up by lanterns and torches, which they didn't like. We also have a theory that they only appear at night. We don't know what they want or what their goal is, but we know it has something to do with the black rocks. We call them moon-dogs."

You had to sit quietly to take it all in.

"We think that if we stop the rocks, we stop the moon-dogs too," Eugene spoke. "Are you still ready on going out today? We'll walk as far as we can in daylight, and find a safe place to stay at night. At least one will keep watch, and we will have plenty of torches. And of course, I'll protect you. But you are more than welcome to stay here, where it's safe. At least for now."