18. The truth

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

"This whole time we've feared the rocks, when we should have been fearing him."

"But... But where-" Cassandra was desperately trying to catch her breath. She was bending over, her hands on her knees. She looked around for her friend, but she was nowhere to be found. It was only dark trees filling your sight everywhere you looked.

"RAPUNZEL!" You called her name into the shadows of the forest. "VARIAN?"

Eugene cursed under his breath, looking everywhere as if they were playing hide and seek. "Where the hell are they!?"

Cassandra, as tough as she was, began to tear up. "No, no, no... They were here just a while ago... Rapunzel... I can't lose her too!"

You gulped, looking around. Where were they?

In frustration of not being able to see anything, you looked up at the night sky. The moon was now visible through the tree-tops.

Your eyes winded in realization. "When the night falls." you quoted.  You looked around, and then back at the moon again. When the night falls...

"What?" Your brother asked you. He had tears in his eyes as well.

"It was a trap..." You mumbled, still with eyes wide open. You looked at the two, who waited for you to explain.

"Goddammit!" You yelled, making some crows fly away, as everything suddenly made a lot more sense. "He warned me! He warned me about this!"

"Who, (Y/n)!?" Eugene yelled in frustration.

"Varian!" You yelled back, as if they would not be able to hear you otherwise. God, you were stupid. He'll start with her. Her was Rapunzel!

"H-he told me... On the walk, right before he passed out. I thought he was rambling, but he was warning me. About someone, a male." You furrowed your brows in confusion as you tried to remember the boy's words.

"When the night falls. It's a trap. He has planned it since the beginning. He'll start with her... Something like that. I-I thought he was just... He warned me and I didn't listen, I-" You began with a shaky voice. Cassandra and Eugene had both stepped closer, with expressions mixed with concern and fear. Then you stopped, your arms dropping to your sides, your (e/c) wide open.

"This is all my fault..." You spoke slowly. Rapunzels scream. The fact that they were gone. This could've been prevented by you, if you would've just have listened to what Varian had said.

Eugene shook her head in confusion, and Cassandra stepped a menacing step forward. "Wait, wait, wait... How come you didn't say this when we asked what Varian had told you?"

If it wasn't because your mind was determined NOT to break down, you surely would've gotten way more tears in your eyes than you already had by now. "I-I didn't think that... I thought..."

Cassandra sighed. "(Y/n) think. Think in between the lines. What did he mean?"

Eugene was walking back and forth impatiently. "There's no time, we need to-"

"What did he mean?" Cassandra repeated, not paying attention to Eugene.

You closed your eyes. "He said something about someone who was coming... For us, I guess. H-He said that we had been walking right into a trap this whole time. And that this person had some evil plans, and..." You hesitated. "And that innocent lives would be lost."