carry

"Nora, honey, your ankle is the size of a grapefruit," Talitha said, trying not to hover. "I really don't think you need to be walking on it."

"I'm fine." Nora waved her off. "I can make it to the clinic."

"I'm sure you can. I'm just not sure you should," Talitha said.

"Getting a medical degree with that chemistry one?" Alinora always got snappier when she was in pain. Or upset. Talitha didn't take offense to it.

"I could," Talitha said. Because she absolutely could. "And, anyway, you don't have to have a medical degree to know that you shouldn't walk on a twisted ankle. If you have to have some kind of qualification, though, I mean, I just had one not that long ago. And you're not supposed to walk on it."

Alinora rolled her eyes. Talitha didn't even have to see it to know that's what she was doing. "And how do you suggest that I get to the clinic, then?"

"Well, I mean. I could carry you?"

Alinora stopped. Turned around and stared. "Really."

Heedless of Alinora's tone, Talitha forged on. "Yeah. Choose. Piggyback, or princess carry? Personally I'm leaning towards the latter, 'cause, y'know, you're a princess. But, lady's choice."

Alinora blinked once. Twice. And then turned around and started waking again.

"I'll fireman carry you if I have to!" Talitha said, jogging forward the two steps it took to reach her side.

"Do that, and I will shave your head while you sleep."

"I'd look hot with a buzzcut, though," Talitha said thoughtfully. She shrugged. "I'll risk it."

"Don't you---" Her sentence was cut off as Talitha lifted her over her shoulder.

"---dare," she finished ineffectually. "You're going to pay for this."

"Oooh. Real scary, darlin'."

Alinora muttered something Talitha couldn't catch, but she was sure it was something biting. It made her grin. She really hoped Asa was volunteering today. Alinora would be twice as mad, but then she'd have someone to back her up when she told the story later.

And maybe Asa would bitch at Alinora instead of her. That'd be great.