dance

"What's a pretty girl like you doing all alone in the corner?"

Alinora's grip tightened on her punch as she turned to face who had spoken. She relaxed a bit when she saw it was just Talitha. Then her eyes narrowed.

"What are you doing here? Last I checked, you go to school at the college. Not the high school."

Talitha grinned. "Would you believe me if I said I was a chaperone?"

Alinora slipped her gaze over Talitha's lavender vest and slacks, the white button up, the flowers pinned to her vest. She met Talitha's eyes. "Absolutely not. For more reasons than one."

Talitha laughed, throwing her head back to do so. Alinora's grip tightened around her cup again as people's heads turned. Talitha didn't seem to notice or care, though.

"Well, you'd be right. Lyn decided that since I didn't get to go to my own senior prom, since I graduated early, that I should go to here. So here I am." She spread her arms wide.

"I wouldn't have thought you'd be interested in something like prom," Alinora said. It didn't seem Talitha's scene at all.

"You wouldn't be wrong about that either." Talitha paused. "Hey, that's two for two! Good on you. Sure you should still be in high school?"

"I'm very close to not being," Alinora reminded. "So, if this isn't your 'scene', then why are you here?"

"Okay, one? The finger quotes there? Very uncool, Nora. Don't make me regret associating with you. Two... I dunno. Guess I just thought I'd see what all the fuss was about." She shrugged.

"I already regret associating with you," Alinora muttered, causing Talitha to lay a hand over her heart while she huffed offendedly. "Is it living up to your expectations?"

Talitha shrugged. "It's whatever. Kind of expected the punch to be spiked by now, though."

Alinora snorted. "Perhaps it is. I haven't been over there in a while."

"I know. You've just been standing by the wall, nursing the same drink for half an hour, looking grumpy. Why'd you come if you weren't gonna enjoy yourself?"

Alinora shrugged. "Promised my mom. She wanted pictures. So I got all dressed up. Aish took pictures. I went. I don't think I'll stay past midnight though."

Talitha nodded. "I see, I see."

She was silent for a bit longer. Long enough that, for a moment, Alinora thought she was going to let her be.

She didn't have time to consider how she felt about that, though, before Talitha was stepping in front of her. "Well, I think in order for both of us to have the full experience, there's still one more thing we ought to do." She held out a hand. "Wanna dance, Princess?"

Alinora stared at Talitha's hand for a long, long moment. Long enough that anyone else would have assumed she was going to say no. But not Talitha. Talitha waited, ever patient when she needed to be. Finally, Alinora set her punch down, and took Talitha's hand.

"Why not?" she murmured.

Talitha grinned. "That's the spirit."

Talitha whisked her off to the dancefloor, finding them a space that wasn't too crowded. She laid one hand on Alinora's waist, and laced the fingers of her other hand, holding it away from them. Alinora laid a hand on Talitha's shoulder.

"You know how to dance?" She didn't know why she was so surprised. Even if Talitha didn't use hers, Alinora knew Lynette's surname. Lumina. They were old money. But Talitha's entire... presentation threw Alinora off in so many ways. She never knew quite what to expect from the other woman.

Talitha hummed. "I do. I can play the violin too." Though it didn't quite fit the tempo of the music, she led Alinora in a slow waltz. "My parents were pretty big on that." She shrugged. "Wanted Lyn and I to know a lot of things."

Alinora hummed. "I know how to play the piano," she offered. "And most classical dances."

Talitha grinned. "Can you tango, princess?"

"Not with so many people around us."

She laughed. "Another time, then."

"We'll see."

"That's as good as a yes, coming from you," Talitha teased.

Alinora rolled her eyes. "You're a terrible person, and I don't know why I'm dancing with you."

Talitha laughed, her whole frame shaking as she did so. She didn't miss a step, however—and neither did Alinora. "Oh, just admit that you like me already, princess. Your tsundere game is getting weak." Her tone was still teasing.

"I am not a tsundere!" She didn't even really know what that meant, honestly. But she'd deny it anyway.

Talitha snorted. "Oh, no, you're definitely a tsundere. Lyr and Ava would agree with me. Aishlynn might, but I'm not sure she's ever watched an anime in her life. And who the hell even knows about Elaena."

"I'm surprised Elaena's not here tonight, honestly," Alinora said. Elaena was known for popping up in the strangest of places.

Talitha shrugged. "There's still plenty of time for her to show up."

The song transitioned into something slower, softer. Couples filtered onto and off of the dancefloor around them. Talitha let go of her hand, and Alinora felt disappointment rise for a moment. Was it over so soon?

She need not have worried.

Talitha wrapped that hand around her waist as well, pulling Alinora in a bit closer. Instead of doing a bastardized waltz around the dancefloor, as they had before, now, they matched the other couples. Holding each other loosely about the waist and neck, swaying in tune to the music.

This close, Alinora could smell her... cologne, she was pretty sure. It smelled like a sea breeze, whatever it was. Alinora had the strange urge to lay her head on Talitha's shoulder. Talitha was a bit too short for that to work, however, and so she didn't. Couldn't, really.

She found herself closing her eyes anyway.

There was still a deep ache in her chest. Losing her mother, losing Liera... and now tonight, an event that she would have taken Liera too, back home. It hurt. It hurt so, so much. But dancing with Talitha, spending this night with Talitha... made it hurt a little less. Maybe a few months ago it would have felt like a betrayal. It still did, in some ways. But she knew, in her heart of hearts, that Liera would have wanted her to be happy.

And she was. Or, well, she was getting there.

Thanks to Aishlynn, and Lyr, and Ava, and Lynette, and Elaena. And, yes, Talitha. Even if the other woman irritated her like no one else, she also... made things better like no one else. It was a strange talent. And Alinora was so, so grateful for it.