decorating

"Stop smirking," Aishlynn said. "This isn't nearly as funny as you're making it out to be."

"It's hilarious," Talitha said. "You're luckily I'm not full on laughing my ass off."

"You're an asshole," she snapped. "Now help me get my hands untied."

It was Aishlynn's turn to host their holiday dinner. Normally, she didn't make much of a fuss for it. Just got out the good china, bought a snack tray, and let Lyr loose in the kitchen. Sometimes she got particularly festive and made a pie. The crust was always a bit burnt but her pie fillings were to die for. This year, though. This year was different. Because this year, Asa and Alinora were celebrating with them.

Alinora, who grew up with their mother, who threw extravagant parties for the holidays and decorated the house to the nines. And Asa, who adored the holidays, and had been talking about how pretty the lights were for the last month and a half.

And maybe Alinora wouldn't care if there wasn't some fancy decorations and pretty lights, but Asa was Aishlynn's partner and... she wanted to do something nice for him.

And Talitha was... helping. Because unlike Aishlynn, she decorated every year. Got up in the middle of the night while her sister was sleeping and turned their house into a magical wonderland for Lynette to wake up to. They usually decorated the tree together, but the house? That was Talitha's thing. She and Lyr would do the outside, which. Aishlynn didn't plan on doing. It was too cold for that.

But inside, she could do.

Just... not alone. Unfortunately.

Which is where Talitha came in.

But of course, she was being her usual self, and making Aishlynn question the whole endeavor.

"So what changed your mind this year, Lady Grinch o'mine?" Talitha set to untangling the lights around Aishlynn's hands, bouncing her leg as she did, making the lights rattle and shake.

"I'm not your anything," Aishlynn snapped, instead of answering. Because answering would mean admitting she was a sentimental fool, and even if everyone already knew that, she didn't plan on reminding them of it. 

"Touchy, touchy," Talitha said, spirits unshaken. "Is it your partner?" 

"It isn't any of your business," Aishlynn said stiffly.

"I mean, if I'm helping decorate, it kind of is."

Aishlynn glared at her.

"Oh, come on, Shlynn. What's the harm in telling me?"

"You using my least favorite nickname is not endearing me to you."

Talitha rolled her eyes. "You're so touchy. I thought this season was supposed to make your heart grow three sizes."

"Not until Christmas Day," Aishlynn retorted.

Talitha stopped tugging at the lights to press her hands to her face, mouth and eyes wide with shock. "You've read the Grinch?"

"I was a child once too, Talitha," Aishlynn said tiredly. "And my mother adored the holidays. Finish untying me so I can put these stupid things up."

Talitha's expression dropped and she resumed untangling her quietly this time. 

Of course, it was Talitha, so the peace couldn't last.

"Seriously, though. What changed your mind?"

Aishlynn rolled her eyes. "I was visited by the spirits of Christmas past, present, and future," she said dryly. "Warmed the coal I have for a heart and I've decided to be a little kinder to the Bob Cratchit's in my life." 

"Was that two pop culture references in less than five minutes? Jeez. Have I stepped into an alternate dimension?"

The lights loosened, and Aishlynn took her hands back, shaking them out. She hadn't lost feeling, but it was nice to have them back under her own power again. "Shut up, Talitha. Go finish setting up the tree."

"You're really not going to tell me, are you?" Talitha said.

Aishlynn stood. "You're always bragging about how smart you are. Figure it out yourself." She snatched the lights up and made for the stepladder.

Talitha returned to the tree. Aishlynn could hear the rustling as she stretched the plastic branches, making it look a little less crumpled and pathetic. She hadn't gotten her decorations out in years.

There was silence again, except for Aishlynn stringing up the lights and Talitha working on the tree. For a brief, hopeful moment, Aishlynn thought that was the end of the questions. That Talitha would let it go.

She should have known better. Taltiha had never let anything go in her life.

"It's 'cause of your mom, isn't it?"

Aishlynn rolled her eyes. "Not everything is because of her," she muttered, hopefully not loud enough for Talitha to catch. Aishlynn loved her mother dearly, but things had been complicated between them. And while she hated that she had left them unresolved before her mother died... that didn't change the odd twist of feelings she had. It wasn't something she wanted to go into. Not now, not ever. "It's because of my sister. And my partner, as you so kindly put it earlier. Now, if you could please leave it alone, I would be appreciative." She paused. "Appreciative enough not to kick you out into the cold without a hot chocolate."

"Let's be clear. You're telling me if I keep my mouth shut until we're done, you'll give me a hot chocolate to drink on my way home?"

"Yes."

"Ah. Bribery. Classic." Quiet, and then, "I accept."

Aishlynn rolled her eyes.