Chapter 9

The curtains opened with a swoosh, morning sunlight blinding the occupants of the tower. Maverick covered his head with his silk pillow. "Close the curtain, Malcolm. I swear, I'll kill you if you don't."

A growl came from across the room. "I didn't open it. I'm trying to sleep too."

Something knocked on wood. Both boys removed their pillows to stare bleary-eyed into the brightening sunlight. Amidst the glow was the quill, scratching more sentences into the book. It seemed impatient as it hovered over the papers.

Maverick dragged himself out of bed, but held on to his pillow. Malcolm hobbled to the desk with a serious case of bed head.

The quill wrote in a fancy, twirly cursive. "No time for sleeping, School Masters. You need to get started on learning how to fulfill your new roles." It grabbed two sheets of paper and started writing To Do lists.

Malcolm yawned, popping his jaw. "You were so hooked on us getting sleep last night. What ruffled your feather between then and now?"

The quill went back to the previous page. "School Masters are up before the students. They're also in bed after the students. We need to get in the habit so you can get used to little sleep."

Maverick grunted and hugged his pillow. "What about breakfast? Do School Masters not eat also?"

The quill moved away from the To Do lists again to respond. "We'll take care of your hunger after you bath and change. You look atrocious this morning." It headed for the lists again but backtracked to the instruction page. "Before you ask, open the floorboard by the back bookshelf. The bathroom is down there." It resumed to its lists.

The twins glanced at each other then trudged to the back wall. The rug stopped before reaching the wall, exposing the floorboards underneath. Malcolm lifted the panel via a loop of rope. A short ladder descended to another floor. They climbed down.

Slightly smaller than the study was a washroom, equipped with double counters, full length mirrors, and a large, steamy bath. Blue gray tiles covered the floor and ceiling while mahogany panels lined the walls. The ceiling held a mosaic of a white and black swan bordering a shield of pinks and blues. Said shield emanated light across the smooth tiles. Steam billowed over the tiled rim of the round central tub. Racks with blue and purple fluffy towels hung on either side of the ladder, more tucked away in a built shelf by the floor. A hook beside them held a hanger with an outfit for each of them.

Maverick undressed and jumped into the bath before Malcolm could. He yelped with glee. "This feels amazing. It's so warm and relaxing."

Malcolm rolled his eyes. "And you're supposed to like dirt." They freshened up for nearly an hour, hardly saying a word as they took in the amount of luxury in a bathroom. They reappeared in the study, now dressed in a fashion that said School Master, not farmer's boy. Identical collared button ups tucked into slim trousers with polished tall boots strapped around their legs. Malcolm adjusted his white top and lace scarf and baby blue vest while Maverick fidgeted in his black shirt and lace scarf and deep purple vest.

The quill scribbled on a sheet of paper. "Very nice. That's much better. Much better."

Maverick wrinkled his nose. "Too bad, cause I hate this lacey thing."

Malcolm nodded. "I could do without the vest too." They removed the vests and scarves and rolled up their sleeves. Malcolm combed his hair back while Maverick ruffled his locks in an attempt to get rid of the lavender scent. "So, what about food?"

Rather than write, the quill tapped a sheet of paper. On top of two To Do lists was a sheet with a spell. Malcolm picked it up to show it to his twin. "Say the spell and think of where you want to go."