Chapter 15

Malcolm stepped into the opening. "Prince August, what are you doing here? You should be back at the school."

Rafal appeared by Maverick's shoulder, face heated. "That's no prince. That's-"

"Sader," Maverick said. "Professor August Sader, the history teacher."

Rafal gripped Maverick's shoulder, anger racing through his nerves at the touch. "He shouldn't be here."

"You shouldn't be here." Maverick clenched his hands. "You should be dead. Buried among traitors and-"

That's enough out of you, Rafal. The dragon waved his claw toward Maverick.

The anger swept away. Maverick grabbed his head, shocked to be hearing only his thoughts. He turned. Rafal stood outside the cave. He tried to walk toward Maverick, but slammed into some kind of wall. "Hey!" he yelled. "Let me in you stupid dragon!"

Rhian hugged Malcolm's shoulders with watery arms. "This is perfect! We can tie up your brother while mine is detained. They won't be able to consort on-"

You as well, Rhian. The dragon thrust his long snout in Malcolm's direction. The watery form appeared outside the cave opening. He banged on some invisible force. And stop taking the form of water. Just admit you're intruding.

Rhian's form changed. A young man with white blond locks and blue eyes. His hurt was more obvious now. "Bartholomew, please. You know I'm Good. I won't do any harm."

Bartholomew the dragon shook his head. He turned to the gawking twins. Come closer, dear School Masters. While you are in my presence, they cannot influence you.

Maverick ran to the dragon and grabbed his claw. "I'm pretty sure you're the one that's talking, so please tell me you can do that permanently."

Malcolm came up slower, still looking back at the upset manifestation. "Yes, please. We don't know why they're in our heads, and they keep trying to make us kill each other."

"Yes. Which it's strange I don't want to kill Malcolm right now, but I really really don't."

"And I don't want to trap Maverick like an animal just to protect myself."

"You don't need protection from me. You need protection from that!" Maverick pointed at the opening.

Malcolm scowled. "I can't see Rafal, stupid."

"But you knew who I was thinking, grandpa."

"Seriously?"

"Yes!"

STOP! Both boys quieted and shrank under the scornful gaze of the dragon. Shockingly, I'm pleased your worst arguments are concerning bad manners and pathetic nicknames. However, if you don't let me speak, then I can't explain. So sit down.

Malcolm and Maverick moved away from the dragon and sat on the rock August occupied. The student, or former professor, chuckled. "They are quiet amusing."

Bartholomew laid down on the cool rock floor and huffed indignantly, smoke trailing to the ceiling. Amusing, yes, but only from a distance.

Malcolm folded his hands in his lap. "Could we stop talking about us?"

Maverick crossed his arms. "Seriously. It's rude. And I'm tired, so can we get to why August came back and how to be rid of the old guys."

Bartholomew snorted. Impatient little human. I'll explain when I want to. He sat quietly for a moment. That probably didn't teach you any manners, but I'm tired as well. August Sader was reborn because he's directly linked to the School Master line. That's what happens when you cleave yourself to School Master magic. He also has more to do in this world before he can go to the next. Mainly make sure history doesn't repeat itself, as some bitter twins would like to do. He glared at Rhian and Rafal.