22

Chapter 22 || Christmas

On Christmas morning, Cheryl told me to come by to pick up and drop off our gifts. She told me that she caught her mother with some guy and said she didn't want to subject me to her mama drama. So I complied, making sure the gifts I got her was securely fastened on my bike before riding over to her house.

"Merry Christmas, Kitten!" Cheryl greeted, running out of her house. I smiled as she launched herself at me, and laughed as I hugged her back.

"Merry Christmas, Cherry." She pulled away and guided me into her house. I grabbed the box off the back of my bike as she pulled me along, laughing at her excitement.

"Me first!" She announced, reaching for the box. I rolled my eyes playfully but let her take it. She sat on her stairs as she pulled the red and white wrapping paper off the box. When she opened the box, she let out a laugh.

"It's a cherry pie." She laughed.

"It's a jewelry box shaped like a cherry pie. It goes along with your other gift." I corrected, handing her a smaller box from my pocket. She opened it excitedly, and gasped when she saw it.

"It's beautiful." She breathed, holding up the gold chain. The soft pink cherry blossom pendant shone in the light, making Cheryl smile wider.

"Now, I know it's not your signature red, but!" I started. "I figured you'd like it anyway because you're my cherry blossom."

"Thank you, Kitten. I love it." She beamed. She put it on, running her finger tips over the chain.

"I'm glad." I said.

"My turn, here you go." Cheryl said, dropping a box in my lap. I pulled it open and saw a silver snake choker. The snake's body wrapped around your neck, it's tail and head resting on your collar bones.

"Woah." I breathed.

"I'm glad you love it. I also got you my favorite perfume." Cheryl smiled, handing me an expensive looking bottle.

"Thanks, Cherry." I smiled. She gave me another hug, and with impeccable timing, her mother shouted for Cheryl.

"I'll see you later." She said, leaving me to find the exit. I shrugged, placing the snake choker and the perfume into my bag. I left the house and rode to dad's trailer. When I opened the door, dad was trying to convince Jughead to go thank Betty in person for his new typewriter.

"Oh, I'll probably just call her, or text her." Jughead said. I rolled my eyes at him but put a smile on my face as I placed a gift in front of him. I slid one over to my dad with a grin.

"You hate Christmas." Dad reminded with a skeptical grin.

"But I love you guys. Open." I commanded. Jughead ripped open his present first, smiling a goofy smile.

"Thanks, Kitty." He said, picking up his new beanie.

"You're welcome." I smiled softly at him. "Open yours next, dad."

He did, still looking at me suspiciously. I just smiled, waiting for him to see what I got him.

"Kitty." He smiled wide. Inside the box I'd wrapped perfectly was a framed picture of our entire family together. It was a candid shot I'd found out a Serpent had taken before mom and Jellybean took off. The Serpent who had the picture gave it to me willingly, and I was glad.

In the picture, there were no fake or forced smiles, no one blinked and ruined the picture, and no one was staring awkwardly into the lens. Mom and dad were sitting beside each other on the steps of the trailer, laughing; Jughead was face down on the ground, covered in mud, his head lifted slightly to show he was smiling; Jellybean was trying to throw mud at me, but I was running away from her with a huge grin on my face.