26

Chapter 26 || Eviction Notice

I was sat with my dad at our kitchen table, him his coffee and me doing a crossword puzzle, as Jughead pulled open the front door.

"Sheriff Keller," Jughead sighed. "What a surprise."

"Jughead," Sheriff Keller greeted. "FP, Kitty. Sorry to bother you, it's..."

"We do not have General Pickens' head," I started, not bothering to look up.

"And we do not know who stole it." Jughead added.

"Same as the last four times you came by to ask us and our neighbors." Dad finished.

"You know, Sheriff, these visits are starting to feel a lot like harassment." Jughead continued. "There's absolutely no evidence. Zero proof whatsoever pointing to any particular group of suspects."

"Well, you did write a rather scathing article about the General's legacy, which prompted the Southside Serpents to stop by Pickens Day with an ax to grind." Sheriff Keller retorted.

"I'm actually writing a new article." Jughead said. "About how you seem to care more about catching a vandal then the Black Hood. Can I get a quote?"

Dad chuckled softly as I raised an eyebrow at Sheriff Keller.

"Daddy, what's a nine letter word for 'fall guy'?" I asked, tapping my pen sarcastically on the table.

"Scapegoat, kiddo." Dad laughed, looking at Sheriff Keller's annoyed expression.

"Perfect fit." I smirked, watching Sheriff Keller huff and walk out of the trailer. I gathered my things and kissed dad's cheek.

"See you later." I smiled, walking out of the trailer. Sweet Pea was sat outside on his motorcycle, watching Sheriff Keller like a hawk.

"What was he doing here?" He asked.

"Just checking to see if Pickens' head magically appeared in our trailer." I rolled my eyes, climbing onto the bike behind him. Sweet Pea scoffed, starting up his motorcycle and heading to school.

Once we got there, Sweet Pea helped me off the back of his bike. He wrapped an arm around me and we walked together into Riverdale High.

--------

"An eviction notice?" I asked, plucking the piece of paper off of Sweet Pea's front door.

"What?" He asked, taking the paper from my hand. He read it over, his expression getting angrier after every line. "Is this because of that stupid head Sheriff Keller thinks we have?"

"I don't know." I sighed, grabbing the paper from him. "What I do know is that we need a drink."

Sweet Pea huffed, slamming open his trailer door. He threw his backpack onto his couch and turned to me. I placed the eviction notice on his counter and dropped my backpack by the door. I shrugged out of my plain leather jacket and pulled on my Serpent jacket. Sweet Pea did the same, glaring angrily at the wall.

"Hey," I said softly, reaching for his hand. "We'll figure this out, baby."

"Yeah," He sighed, slowly letting his anger fade. "I just don't want to leave here."

"Let's go to the Wyrm and see if my dad has a plan." I suggested, pulling him out the door. The walk to the Whyte Wyrm was silent, but we were fine with that. He was angry and I was trying to formulate a plan in case my dad needed my help.

I took a spot behind Toni, Sweet Pea falling beside me. Jughead was leaned up against the pool table beside us, looking up at our father.

"We all got the eviction notices, but I swear to you... No one is goin' anywhere." Dad started. "But the heat has been on us since Pickens Day and they are using that damn statue as an excuse to turn it up. But if we are gonna fix this, I gotta ask: is anyone in this room responsible for cutting off Pickens' head?"

"Why don't you ask your son and daughter what they have to say?" Tall Boy asked, stepping out of the crowd.

"What is your problem with me, Tall Boy?" Jughead asked while I glared at Tall Boy.

"You wrote the article that started this mess. You and your posse," Tall Boy spat, glaring at me. "Fired the opening shot at Pickens Day."

"It was a peaceful protest, Turncoat." Toni snapped.

"That accomplished nothing." Tall Boy stated. "So what's to say that you and your boyfriend, and the princess and her boyfriend didn't go back that night with a ladder and hacksaw?"

"Hey! We didn't do it!" I snapped, storming forward. Sweet Pea and Toni followed me, and Jughead struggled to keep pace with me.

"Hell, Tall Boy, you're the tallest guy in this room." Jughead stated, pointing in Tall Boy's face.

"You wouldn't even need a ladder." I spat. Dad reached out, grabbing Jughead's jacket.

"Jughead, Kitty... Tall Boy, the last thing we need right now is to turn on each other." Dad called. I scoffed, rolling my eyes. Dad grabbed my jacket, pulling me toward him.

"Hey... we will find a way out of this." He said, looking me in the eye before pushing me away. I huffed, itching to punch someone; preferably Tall Boy.

"Let's take a walk." Sweet Pea whispered in my ear, pulling me out of Tall Boy's general vicinity. I let him pull me outside before tearing out of his grasp. I kicked over an empty trash can, feeling extremely frustrated.

"I'm going to kill him. Calling me out like that." I grumbled, walking back over to Sweet Pea. "We used to be cool, he and I. What the hell changed?"

"Stop it, Kit." Sweet Pea said, grabbing my hand. He pulled me into his arms, making me sigh.

"I'm sorry. He just pissed me off." I mumbled into his chest.

"Yeah, I know. Let's just go home and go to bed while we still have a home to go back to." Sweet Pea suggested. I nodded, grabbing his hand and walking us home.