35

Chapter 35 || Peaceful Protest

Heading to school the next morning was chilling. I hadn't slept at all the night before, on high alert just in case something was going to happen to Cheryl. When I finally got to school, I was basically on auto-pilot until lunch. Then, I was dragged into the classroom Jughead had set up for his club. I sat sleepily on a desk while Jughead talked about a demolition notice.

"This isn't a demolition notice. It's a notice of extermination." Jughead stated, holding up a piece of paper. He crumpled it up and tossed it to the side, looking at us expectantly.

"We've already said our 'goodbye' to Southside Jughead." Toni chimed.

"Today, it's Southside High. Tomorrow, it's the Wyrm." Jughead reasoned. "Everything that makes the Southside home is gonna disappear. If we roll over now, it's all over."

"It's just a building, Jug." Toni stated.

"No! Toni, it's the soul of the Southside." Jughead retorted. "The Uktena fought and died trying to protect that land. Our parents fought to keep it safe during the riots. Now it's our turn. It's our time. This is our fight. So who's with me? Who's ready to go to war?"

--------

"You better be so happy I love you." I mumbled, letting Jughead chain me to Southside High. He just smiled and locked me in, moving on to Sweet Pea. I yawned, leaning against the concrete behind me, watching the sky darken.

"Well, well, well. The cavalry's finally here." Jughead commented. I looked away from the sky, my eyes landing on a blue and yellow jacket and red hair. Archie Andrews. "Guess that means we've got Hiram's attention."

"Are you nuts?" Archie asked. "Chaining yourself to this place? They're gonna tear it down in two days, dude."

Jughead scoffed, shaking his head.

"Not unless Hiram wants the blood of nine young Serpents on his hands." Jughead countered.

"We're not going anywhere." I added, earning the attention of the redhead. "Go and tell your boss we said that."

Archie glared at us as it started to rain. I ignored him as he rode off into the night. I shivered slightly in the rain, regretting not wearing another layer.

Sweet Pea and I stood all night, talking to Fangs. When I finally crashed from being awake for over 24 hours, Fangs and Sweet Pea sandwiched me between them to keep me warm. I woke up a few hours later, still cold. I stood, leaning back against the concrete as I saw Betty walk up.

"God, why didn't you call me last night, Jug?" She asked, sitting with Jughead.

I rested my head on Sweet Pea's shoulder and smiled softly.

"So, this is fun, huh?" I asked. Sweet Pea looked down at me and smiled out of amusement.

"Being chained to a building while my girlfriend freezes beside me? Oh yeah, so fun." He laughed, rolling his eyes.

"I'm not freezing!" I protested. "I'm just very small and don't generate a lot of heat. You, on the other hand, are bigger than me, and therefore warmer than me. Hence, why I'm standing so close to you."

Betty walked off as Sweet Pea laughed at me. I started shivering again, alerting my father a couple yards away. He stalked over, a coffee in one hand and a blanket in another. He wrapped the blanket around me with a smile, and handed me the coffee.

"Say the word, babygirl, and I'll get you a burger and the heater in the truck." Dad offered. I sipped the warm beverage and nearly moaned at the warmth.