Chapter 12: Part 1

A waft of cold stale air caressed Aislyn's face as she pried the rusty door open. Grimacing at the loud creak she heard echo down the staircase, she positioned her body behind the door and peered around it. Even with her enhanced sight, she was practically blind against the glare of the black abyss below her.

With one final glance behind her, eyes scanning the foliage surrounding her for anything out of the ordinary, she noiselessly slipped through the door and placed her back against the wall so she could take advantage of the light for as long as possible. Slipping silently on nimble feet from one step to the next, it wasn't long before Aislyn was sightless, a slave to the shadows.

Luckily for her, her mind was as sharp as the blades strapped across her body, and that she could remember the exact layout, down to the last step.

Counting down in her head, she finally reached the last step where she knew another door stood firm. Bracing her hands on the door, she fumbled around until she located its handle. She made short work of prying the door open using one of the daggers.

Aislyn, praying silently in her head to whatever god may be listening, she slowly counted, "one, two, three," then pushed the door open.

Mercifully, she door didn't make a noise when it swung open and Aislyn did her best to control her breathing.

Pulling her bow from over the shoulder, she grasped it firmly in one hand, the pendent that hung there a warm comfort, and reached back with her other to grab an arrow and knock it into place.

Aislyn crouched down and drew in a steady breath, slowing down her heartbeat, and remained there for several moments, letting her eyes gradually adjust to the darkness.

After she could eventually see further past her hand in front of her face, she could vaguely make out the long corridors she only ever got a glimpse of as she was being dragged out of her room.

Aislyn made her way, ever so slowly, down the ominous corridor, stopping at every door to peer inside, arrow poised to fire at the slightest movement.

A chill ran down her spine every time she counted down from three in her head, gathering the courage to look into the cells she had so often heard pleas of help from.

Room after room was empty, no sign of life nor no sign of what had caused the desertion of the facility. Everything looked the same way as it had when she'd left; a stone room, no windows and only a metal bed placed in the centre.

Although she tried, Aislyn's traitorous eyes constantly wandered to the crimson splatters staining the floor and walls.

As she neared the end of the corridor, she drew to a halt in front of the only door that was closed. On feet no louder than a whisper, she made her way over to the door and reached forward to trace her fingers down the cold metal. As her hand ran over the warped metal, her mind wandered back to the reason it was there in the first place and she rested her head against the metal closing her eyes.

She had been planning her escape since the moment she arrived. She knew it would be foolish to try anything straight away, instead, she lay in wait. Quietly and unnoticeably rebelling against everything that was done onto her. For over a year, she had acted, trying to be inconspicuous. Fighting back against her captor enough for it to believable yet being complacent enough that His attention on her began to slack.

One day, after her treatment, she feigned weakness, just as she did after every time, leading the Necromancer to believe that she needed sleep to recover.

She lay on the metal bed several minutes after He left, ear trained on His fading footsteps before jumping to her feet and running to the door.