Chapter 13: Part 3

Aislyn slammed her door hard enough for Jackson to see his office door rattle from downstairs.

"I gather the chat went well?" He asked, filing away some sheets of parchment.

"Your sister is a bitc- "

"Hey! Careful. That's my sister your talking about."

Logan grunted and threw himself into the chair in front of Jackson's desk.

"Yeah, well she's practically like my sister so I can say want I want. It's just- urgh. I don't- she's..."

"A handful?"

"You can say that again."

After finishing arranging his desk, Jackson sighed and leaned back in his chair.

"What did you want to talk to her so badly about anyway?"

"Don't worry about it. It was just me trying to hold her to a promise she made."

"What- "

"Don't worry about it, mate," cut in Logan.

"Alright..."

To change the subject, Logan lifted his head trying to catch a glimpse of the documents on the desk.

"How are we doing?"

Jackson shook his head and he ran a hand through his hair, "not good. At the rate we're going at now, we're going to have to ask for a loan. The extra money we're going to save now that we don't have to pay the tracker who was meant to be looking for Aislyn, must go straight into the repair of the wall that runs around our outskirts. We're broke Logan."

"Shit," he mumbled, "What did Tamani say about it?"

"I haven't talked to him yet; I haven't seen him since the incident before dinner."

"I don't blame him for getting some distance for Aislyn."

Jackson brought his hand down on the table, so hard and so fast, it made Logan jump and sit straighter.

"What is going on?" he demanded, "these last few weeks you two and Galen have been sneaking around, whispering. Don't think I haven't noticed."

"Nothing Jack! Can't you let it go? It's nothing!"

"No Logan, I can't let it go. Last time I turned a blind eye is when I turned it away from Tamani and her. And then I didn't see her for five years."

"So, it's my fault?" Asked a voice from the dimly lit corridor.

Tamani slowly walked into the light and propped himself up against the door frame, arms crossed.

"Urgh! No, Tam, you know I didn't mean it like that."

"Then how did you mean it?"

"I meant that I'm her older brother and I'm supposed to be the one who looks out for her and so far, I have done a shit job. I can't forgive myself as it is but if something else was to happen to her, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. My mother trusted me to look after her and I just want to do it right."

"Fair enough," replied Tamani, nodding his head.

"What?" asked Jackson and Logan simultaneously.

"Don't look so surprised. He came up with a valid answer and I'm a rational person."

"Damn, you're starting to sound like Aislyn," Logan said to Tamani, chuckling.

Jackson got up from his seat, laughing. He walked over to the lit candelabra and blew out the flames, throwing the room into shadow, the only light coming in from the streetlamps outside.