Chapter 17: Part 2

"Serilda, accompanied by two of her students."

Serilda walked into the room, only a few people turning to acknowledge her presence. Galen started forward, barely making a couple of steps forward before Aislyn tugged him back.

"You don't think it necessary to introduce me?" she hissed in the ear of the herald, flashing her eyes for emphasis.

"I, uh, you're not on the list-"

"Azure and Raven."

"Azure!" Squeaked out the man, jumping back a step.

"Is it not obvious?" she purred, running a hand down her side.

"No, I mean, yes- um, titles?"

"We don't need titles, Azure and Raven will do."

"Azure," murmured Galen, "It's going to piss off Serilda."

"That's the plan, hun."

Aislyn looked to the herald and gestured with her hand for him to continue. He nodded and cleared his throat.

"Announcing the presence of Raven and... Azure."

Like a blizzard had blown into the room, everyone froze and turned to watch Aislyn and Galen walk down the stairs.

With a flare of exuberance, Aislyn threw her trail behind her and began to walk down the stairs. The unburning fire within the fabrics of her dress looked so real and so mesmerising that Aislyn noticed the people she passed staring in awe and then stumbling back in fear of getting burnt.

Once they had gotten a few paces into the room, Aislyn locked eyes with Serilda.

Aislyn could practically feel the hatred burning hole in her face but all she found she could do was smile. An evil and contempt smile. Not that Serilda could see it from behind her mask.

Without stopping to converse with the other guests like everyone else, Galen took charge and led Aislyn to the dance floor, joining in perfectly with the other people dancing around. Although all their fellow dancers hastily moved back, not wanting to get too close to the assassins.

Immediately, Aislyn and Galen both began scanning the crowd, the wide berth everyone was giving them, allowed them to quickly assess every one.

Almost instantaneously, Aislyn's eyes honed in on her brother and the other two leaders of her community. All three of them stood closely huddled together, talking quietly and eyes trained on her and Galen.

"I don't see why Serilda always insists on having protection at these events," murmured Galen, "anyone who would dare to try anything would be foolish."

"I agree," replied Aislyn, eyes travelling back to Serilda who already was shimmying up to one of the Leaders.

"What do you think they're talking about?" Asked Raven, pointing his head in Serilda's direction.

"Well the man is telling her that he has a really small willy and Serilda's replying that she has a big boogie in her noise that she wants to pick out."

"Fuck's sake," chuckled Galen, shaking ever so slightly from his suppressed laughter.

"See there," whispered Aislyn, "See how she's running her hand over his jacket?"

"Yeah?"

"That's her cleaning her shit off her hand from where she didn't wipe her butt properly."

Galen snorted and pushed Aislyn away, only to keep hold of one hand and twirl her around.

By the time he stopped, Aislyn was giggling and too dizzy to stand straight. Laughing she collapsed into Galen's arms, not noticing how people were beginning to stare.