VI

Aislyn yanked the dagger free and wiped it on the lapels of the dead guard's jacket.

"Impressive."

Aislyn looked over her shoulder at the prisoner reclined leisurely against the walls of his dingy cell.

"I aim to please."

She looked over to the other four prisoners who had ventured out to the bars of their cells.

"Boys," she greeted, bowing her head.

In her four months she was locked up, it had only been her and four other prisoners. The men she was looking at now. Only the worst of the worst were sentenced to that prison. Deigned to be locked up and the key thrown away. Communities had their own prisons for their members that committed measly theft or for discordance. The Council prison was for the few who went against the Council. The very few.

Aislyn liked to think of them as her allies.

"Girl, you just don't know when to stay away do you?" Asked one of them.

"I guess its just your irresistible charm," she replied back, "Has Raven been by lately?"

"Nope, not since the new guy got here."

"Shit."

Aislyn got to her feet, tucking her dagger back into her waistband and unhooked the keys from around the guard's belt. She ignored the damp, wet stain spread across his crotch.

"I had quite an unpleasant surprise when I got thrown in here and you were nowhere to be found."

"I'm a good girl, me getting locked up was a mistake," she grinned, fumbling to find the right key.

"Tell that to Serilda."

Aislyn looked up, "She pissed?"

"You have no idea."

"Good."

The key slid into the lock.

Tele took a step out of his cell and was greeted by Aislyn's dagger pressing into his stomach.

"We're not friends, Tele, I did you a favour now you owe me one."

"I figured as such."

"A little birdie told me you got caught snooping into Council business. Specifically, their research on who is kidnapping the kids. So tell me. What do you know?"

"Not much. The Council doesn't know much. The most I got is that there's a messenger beginning sent out for negotiations."

"That's not enough," she replied, twisting the blade.

"I don't know his name," hissed Tele, "A big guy, covered in tattoos. He supposedly meets with one of the Necromancer's cronies in the underground cellar- the one here, in the Council House."

"When?"

"One full moon and one day from the day I got imprisoned. At midnight."

"Fuck," growled Aislyn, tucking the dagger away, "That's tonight."

She sighed in disappointment, "It's so cliche I might not even go."

Aislyn took a step back from Tele and jerked her head towards the hatch.

"Follow the tunnel right to the end. It lets out on the south side of the House. Run and don't stop. Got it?"

Tele nodded and jumped into the tunnel. A moment later his head popped back up and he asked, "Are we really not friends? If I had known that, I wouldn't have given you my blood."