C H A P T E R 6

I didn't go into school the next day. Instead, I decided to go down to the hospital with Brett and Jett to see how Eli's mom was doing and then eventually help her come home. Eli was still shaken up about how he now had a sister compared to the happiness he should actually be feeling because he had to take care of two people now.

From what we've heard, his dad still hadn't gone down to visit them in the hospital and Eli had guessed that he was either at some girl's house doing whatever men do, or he had gone and stayed at the bar. We weren't even sure if it was safe for them to be in that house with a new baby, but Eli had told us that they were staying there.

He didn't even get to finish off the nursery because his mom went into labour a week earlier and he had blamed himself for not building the nursery sooner. However, as his best friends, we decided to take it upon ourselves to finish it off the whole Friday. So I would be missing a day of school, it didn't really matter to me.

The nerd and I had come to an agreement that we would start on Saturdays and as much as I would have loved to see that blush on her face again, I wasn't going to. It was going to shitty school and spending my hours there, bored as fuck or it was going to Eli's house and finishing up the nursery.

Of course, being with the twins meant that the work was twice as hard and it was literally just building a couple things. We obviously couldn't paint the room because of the fumes, so we moved stuff around and made them fit. Eli would have wanted things differently, but this is what would have to stay for now at least.

Being the bad boys of the town didn't always mean we would be getting up to shit because that's what it would say in stories and in books. We were teenagers, almost adults and we all kind of knew what it was like to have a younger sibling, minus the twins who were the only kids in their family.

Being the bad boy didn't mean you had to be an ass, sure you could be cold hearted and shitty to other people but to your brother (not by blood) who's going through shit of his own, you'd definitely know not to be an ass but to help him. I knew what it was like to have shitty parents but it didn't compare to Eli because he was still living this nightmare.

"Yo, I think I see him." Brett ran up to the window where Jett was and I followed behind. It had just turned five in the afternoon and Eli had said that they would be here by four. They would have needed to stay at the hospital for longer because it was clear that being one week early would mean keeping an eye on the baby, but they'd given her the all clear.

We all went downstairs after we heard the garage door open. Eli was helping his mom out of the car and she had winced a couple times, holding onto Eli's arm and she got out of the car. Brett and Jett decided to take over so that Eli could tend to his sister, Zara. I swear to you, she's the tiniest thing I have ever seen! Chelsie and Skye were both really chubby when they came out, weighting at around seven to eight pounds each.

"I'll get the stuff out man, don't worry." I told him and then glanced at his bandaged hand, laughing. He glared at me, flipping me off before walking inside and leaving me to get everything out of the trunk. I looked outside and saw that a couple of the neighbours had walked out and were clearly trying to take a look.

I didn't know what the hell their problem was, but I started walking outside and once I had gotten to the front of the garage, they noticed that I was standing there glaring at them. "You got a problem?" I questioned, my voice turning deeper and angrier. The middle aged couple looked at each other in worry and I could tell that they didn't like the look of me.

"If you're not going to answer, then you might as well cower back into your house. Unless you want to have a conversation with me." My eyes looked at the husband who tried to hide his wife behind him while I smirked. The wife gasped and pulled at her husband's arm when she saw the deathly look in my eyes and finally, they gave up and walked back inside. Fucking assholes.

I didn't end up staying there for long because I needed to get home since Josette had to get to work and Drew wouldn't be home until late. Brett and Jett decided to stay just in case Eli's dad decided to make a return and it pissed me off that I had a gut feeling that he may go back to the house. It wasn't safe for them, but Eli's mom wouldn't press charges on the dick.

Sighing, I walked home feeling gross because we had been sweating our asses off trying to clean up after we built the furniture. First thing I probably would have to do was make sure that the girls were occupied so they didn't hurt themselves or worse, make a mess of themselves. Only reason why hurting themselves wasn't bad was because they would rarely care.

Since there was a couple weeks before Spring Break, me and the guys were planning to go and do something but since Eli had his baby sister, he wasn't sure if he was going to come. That didn't mean that the twins and I weren't going, but we did feel a little bit like an ass after we told him. Still, we have planned a road trip and practically everyone was going.

My thoughts of Spring Break was interrupted when my phone began to vibrate in my pocket. I was about to pick up and tell Josette that I wasn't far from the house, but when I saw the name flash across my screen, a smirk came upon my lips.

"Hello?" I answered. A squeal came from the other side of the line and I couldn't help but laugh at my best friend and sister in law. Ava was Drew's sister and my best friend, along with her brother Kian and to put things into perspective, they were my actual first friends and even though they didn't live in the same city as me, we were still pretty close.

"Joey! Do you have any idea how much of an ass you are? I mean, I've been waiting for you to call us, but do you bother? Hm? Of course you don't! Kian's been telling me that you're probably busy and you've forgotten about us." I couldn't even respond to what she was saying because she kept interrupting me.

"Are you going to let me speak, or am I going to have to hang up on you?" I questioned as I crossed the street. "Don't you dare! How's everything? Oh, forget that! Kian and I are coming by this Sunday, I hope Drew's told you." Nope, my brother in law and my sister have been preoccupied in their own lives where they argue constantly and then make up.

"Drew hasn't said fuck all, I'm afraid." I told her as the house came in my line of vision. "Ugh, I've got to go Joey. But I can't wait to see you on Sunday! Make us something special, you can cook, can't you?" I heard her laugh before she hung up the phone without actually saying a goodbye and letting me have a conversation with her.

The thing with Ava was that she was my first friend and my first crush and vice versa, but since we were only little we didn't do anything about it. We always see each other every holiday, but we're strictly friends because of her two brothers and I would never break the code. She practically family and speaking of family, I had to take care of two little ones.

God, help me.