C H A P T E R 27

Enna's P.O.V

I gazed at the bruise that glared at me through the mirror. It was the hickey that Joey had given me and still, I hadn't been able to cover it up. A sigh left my lips when I wrapped a scarf around my neck and stepped away from the mirror. My ears listened out for any movements in the house, like I did every morning but there was still silence.

My aunt was still at the hospital and it had gotten harder for me to see her. There was practically no news from her and it hurt me more than ever that my only family member didn't want to see me any more. I tried to understand why, but with the lack of news from my sister, the abandonment of my parents and finally, Joey, I couldn't organize my thoughts well.

It was disrupting my grades to the point where I was thinking of just collecting all my work from school and doing them at home. Of course it was far from possible, but the principal had some sort of love for one of the smartest kids in her school, in her own words. I scoffed as I walked away from my room and started walking down the stairs.

My head was once again filled with the thoughts of what happened with Joey at the mechanics. I couldn't believe that it was me, the good girl, who had let the bad boy play with me how he wished and I hated myself for letting him. Of course I couldn't only blame myself, I didn't have wool covering my eyes, I knew who to blame and when.

A blush rose to my cheeks, heating them instantly when I had realised the true movements of what I had done. I had let him do it because I wanted it to happen, I wanted to let some of his darkness into my life because I was already clouded with it. I could tell that to him, to him I was some sort of saint because I was everything he was not.

It wasn't a secret that I had some problems in my life, but I could manage them. Or so I had thought. Embarrassment flooded through me when I remembered when Joey had unraveled the final secrets that I kept from everyone for a long time. It was the oddest thing in my opinion, because he knew so much of me and I knew so much of him, yet we weren't even friends.

Did I want that though? Did I want someone as broken as Joey to be brought into my life? I couldn't dip my finger into his sins because he couldn't hold them by himself. From what I had seen, he was changing himself thought wasn't he? He was pushing himself to be a better person while I was digging myself a bigger grave.

The only thing that was holding me up was my grades and now that was failing. I tried pushing myself back up by doing what I had always done, closing my eyes and thinking of the happiness I was surrounded by when my sister was here. I had my aunt but now, everything was in shambles and I didn't know how to gain back the control in my life. Everything was a mess.

My feet carried me further towards the school, the place where I was going to be for only a couple more months until we were done. My head ached at the thought of going to university, but it was a good thing. That way I could be away from here, I could concentrate on furthering myself as a person and continuing to find my sister without any distractions.

What was I even saying? I couldn't escape my problems that easily. I knew what was to come the more the days would go by. I would have to maybe say goodbye to my aunt, I might also have to move back to Germany if the case is that I couldn't live here anymore since I wasn't eighteen yet. I shook my head, trying to remove the negative whiny thoughts out of my head.

I had made it to class since I knew my only friend would be with her new boyfriend, but I didn't mind. At least she was happy, right? My heart drummed against my chest when I realised that I had this class with Joey. We hadn't spoken or seen each other since that day at the mechanics, where I had decided to leave, knowing he would lock up the place anyway.