Chapter 4 - All the Fun of the Cirkus

"Boss... what did you mean when you said that you have hidden behind a weaker personality before?"

   Diavolo and Doppio walked alongside the long corridor, as those words echoed all around, and inside Diavolo's head.

   Diavolo stopped for a second. Come to think of it, he had been careless with his choice of words, much careless than he would have normally been. However, that had a good reason: he wasn't used to measuring his words around Doppio. The few moments he spoke to Doppio were through the "phone", and it was easy to remind himself that it wasn't a regular situation then.

   On the other hand, he had never before stood beside Doppio, each with their own bodies. The closest thing to that was in the Colosseum, but it wasn't like this.

   Now, Doppio was right there, walking by his side, and asking him the single most uncomfortable and terrifying question Diavolo never hoped he asked about, one regarding his very existence.

   "I was just... just forget about it, Doppio."

   "Boss, for the entire time we have been here, you haven't said a single unnecessary word. I need to know what you meant with that!"

   Diavolo was almost shaking with anxiety upon thinking of the possibility of explaining to Doppio about their true origin.

   "Look, Doppio, I only said that to explain why I wouldn't fall for Drie's trap. That's it!"

   "Explaining to your enemy? I don't buy it, Boss! And considering they had multiple personalities, it's too strangely specific to be an empty statement!"

   "Doppio, just..."

   "Come to think of it, that cloaked man referred to me as your brother! This is just too strange, what does any of that mean?!"

   "Doppio, I..."

   "Don't make excuses, Boss! Just tell me what is going on here!"

   Despite the situation and the headache that plagued his mind, Diavolo noticed something strange, a faint sound, like some kind of circus music coming from afar.

   "Wait Doppio, do you hear that?"

   "Come on Boss, I'm not that stupid to fall for-"

   "Quiet, Doppio! Listen..."

   The sound was now more perceptible.

   "You're right Boss, I can hear it now."

   "It's coming from the end of this corridor. Let's leave the discussion for later, this is more important now."

   Doppio put on a disappointed face and let out a sigh.

   "Fine, but don't you think I'll forget about it!"

   They walked further into the corridor, as the melody got louder until the two men reached an orange curtain divided in two. The song coming from behind it was now much louder.

   They looked at each other and nodded, and without uttering a word they went through the curtain. The room behind it was completely dark. Before they could take any further step, however...

*FLASH*

   The blinding lights had been turned on, and the room's details had been revealed: a large circular room, made to mimic a typical circus tent; many decorations themed with lizards and intricate drawings paved the colorful walls, over the multiple rows of seats on the edges of the room, each with a large wooden crate sitting on top; on the opposite end of where they came from there was a big structure, with two sets of stairs going to the top, where there was a wooden balcony, and a large wooden double door under it.