Chapter 13 - Dance of Twin Tides

The marble staircase seemed to last an eternity, as the two men ascended step by step. Their journey together had been troubled and harsh, but it was finally coming to an end. The flames of the torches that kept the ascending hallway from falling into darkness produced a faint light that danced on the faces of Diavolo and Doppio.

   After a long silent walk, they arrived at the top of the stairs, in a short marble hallway that led to a solitary blue double door, decorated with the image of a triangle drawn in gold over it, as well as golden knobs. They stopped before it, contemplating and wondering what awaited them.

   "This is it."

   "Yes."

   "The only thing between us and our freedom is this door."

   "...Boss, I-"

   "Doppio."

   Diavolo grabbed Doppio by the arms and straightened his pose.

    "We cannot lose this, no matter what happens. So..."

    With his hand, he raised Doppio's head up high, as Doppio looked at him surprised.

   "Hold your head up high, Doppio. You are a king, a warrior. We are going to finish this, together."

   Doppio looked into his eyes and saw truth in his words, undeniable honesty that filled him with hope. He smiled and answered.

   "Yes, Boss!"

   Diavolo smiled back, patting him on the shoulder as he did. They turned to the door and walked towards it. Each of them held a doorknob, side by side. They looked at each other with a serious face.

   "It's time. Are you ready?"

   "Yes, Boss."

   "Then let's go."

   They pushed the door open at the same time, entering the room as they did. The room behind it was big and had a peculiar beauty to it, while also exerting an air of mystery. The walls, ceiling, and floor were made of a turkish blue stone, with large columns that ran along the room. The walls were decorated with carvings imitating sea tides and triangles like the one on the door. Along these walls, there were multiple fountains, and the soothing sound of pouring water complemented the silence that permeated the room.
From small barred windows on top of the fountain emanated a soft pale blue light, the only source of illumination of the gloomy hall, and accentuated the thin mist that crept along the floor.

   At the end of the room, there was a small staircase that went up a little less than a meter. On top of it, there was a sapphire blue throne made of stone, with a turquoise velvet seat. In there sat a man, slobbed on his seat, with his left arm over the armrest, and the right arm vertical on the other armrest, with his head resting over his right fist.

   He was a reasonably attractive man, with long light brown straight hair and a short Anchor style beard and mustache. He wore a pair of blue pants with turquoise wave details on it, paired with a large turquoise velvet cape, that exposed only his pants, naked chest and a turquoise leather vest, a pair of matte golden shoes with pointy tips, and a necklace with a thin flat jade stone that had a golden drawing of a  trident in the middle. His arms had many golden and silver bracelets and his fingers were covered with gold and silver rings.

   By his feet, two women laid, clinging to his slender figure. Both were incredibly beautiful. One was blonde with long blonde hair and wore a long light blue nightdress, and the other had long wavy brown hair and wore a purple nightdress. While the man looked at nothing, the women by his feet looked at Diavolo and Doppio with malicious eyes and smiles, while giving off a disdaining sensation.