Chapter 16 - The Hidden Knight

"What... happened?"

   The blade had pierced Diavolo's chest, coming from the back. It was sudden and surprising, and it took a while after he noticed the light reflecting on its sharp steel to feel the acute pain that now permeated along his whole body.

   "Was this... his trick?"

   He looked at Jade, expecting an indication of his doing in that unexpected attack, but instead of any malice or trickery in his eyes, Diavolo could only see surprise and fear. Jade had his eyes wide open, his mouth gaping and his expression was of shock and dread.

   "...but who?"

   Suddenly, the pain was gone, and Diavolo's point of view had changed.

"GYAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!"

   Jade's gutwrenching scream echoed through the otherwise silent room. Diavolo saw his bloody torso with the blade sticking out.

"It can't be..."

   Behind Jade, there was someone else.

   "You were right..."

   A slender young man with multiple wounds along his body, holding a slightly ripped pink sweater shirt on his bloody hands. His hair was messy and his face looked serious and determined. Beside him, covered in shadow, there was the silhouette of a being slightly larger than him, holding the blade that had pierced through Jade in one hand, and a shield in the other.

   "You were right about me, Jade Sinfield."

   Diavolo's eyes widened and teared up as he looked at the man.

"...Doppio?"

   The mysterious being pulled the sword from Jade's chest, making him cough blood, and immediately bashed him with its shield, throwing Jade into a wall several meters away.

   "It was true that Epitaph was not my real stand... true that I wasn't a person on my own..."

   He took a step forward, and the being beside him followed, exposing itself to the light.

   "But that is why..."

   Its body was like King Crimson, but gray instead of red and magenta instead of white. Its face was like Epitaph, only more mature looking and with a calm and serene expression. Its eyes were round and green, and there was a bigger eye on its forehead, closed. In its right hand, it held a long sword in the shape of a feather pen, and on its left arm, there was a large silver Heater Shield.

   "Doppio... what... what happened?"

   Doppio looked at him while putting his bloodstained sweater on.

   "Every vision my stand foresees is final."

   Diavolo was confused.

   "What does tha-"

   "When I got hit by King Crimson and fell to the ground, I was unable to do anything. I eventually regained my senses, and yet my body was filled with pain and all I could do was watch. I have seen you trying your hardest to protect me, but for the first time, you were in much bigger trouble. All I could do was watch, unable to react, unable to help."

   Doppio's expression remained the same, but a tear rolled down his cheek, mixing with the blood.

   "I felt useless, disarmed. The one that had been protecting me all that time was losing a fight for our lives and I couldn't do anything..."