Chapter 19 - My Epitaph

"NIGHTMARE KING REQUIEM!"

   The red-tinted clouds rushed over the sky above the castle, visible between the multitude of giant and long black arms that surrounded the courtyard, coming from down below the abyss. The group of cloaked people, most fallen down while their otherwise fatal wounds were being healed by the mysterious dark mist, surrounded Diavolo as he stared incredulously at the situation that unfolded before him. Behind them was the bridge that led to a crimson portal, in front of them a battle none of them could have expected was about to commence.

   Vinegar Doppio stood in the middle of the courtyard, with his stand Knight Watch in front of him in a defensive stance, holding the shield on its left hand in front of the body and the feather-shaped sword in its right hand resting behind him in a low position that also protected its user.

   The Blind King was becoming one with the mist, as his body dissolved within it, giving a distinct and faint red glow to the somberness that permeated the stone floor. His red eyes slowly began to fade as his form disappeared into the environment. His voice seemed omnipresent, and the blood-red moon had a threatening aura as if it were his all-seeing eye, overseeing all of them. Now, there was only Nightmare King Requiem.

   The first arm came rushing towards Doppio, who immediately noticed it.

   "Knight Watch!"

   The sword slashed through it with remarkable ease, as the severed part fell down and disappeared within the mist. The second one came right after, and Knight Watch immediately struck, before noticing a third one came at the same time. It defended itself and Doppio with its shield. Before he knew, many more came in his direction, alternating attacks. Using Knight Watch's predictions, Doppio did his best and fought hard against the incoming attacks, his sword hacking and slashing through the bizarrely long arms.

   Diavolo watched the situation from afar. His eyes were widened and his mouth was gaping, as he tried to piece together the events that had led to that confrontation. Ganz Dämmer, now fully recovered from his injuries, approached Diavolo with a friendly face, putting a hand on his shoulder.

   "Hate to admit it, but the boy is giving him quite the fight. You trained him well, I suppose."

   Without taking his eyes from the situation in front of him, watching as the attacks zoomed towards Doppio, he responded, still shaken.

   "I did not train him... he was always like this, I think..."

   "I really wonder why he made that choice. It doesn't make much sense..."

   "I agree. I agree... I..."

   Diavolo suddenly snapped and ran towards the fight, leaving Ganz behind, confused.

   "Hey, where are you going?!"

   He got near the fight, standing at a safe distance. His face looked desperate and unhinged. His green pupils came together for a moment, almost as a whole.

   "DOPPIO!"

   Still fighting, Doppio looked at him, unable to hide the spark of hope within his eyes. He opened his mouth but said nothing, exhausted while fighting the arms of Nightmare King Requiem.

   "STOP THIS DOPPIO, STOP THIS MADNESS NOW! JOIN ME BEFORE YOU GET YOURSELF KILLED, PLEASE!"

   Whatever trace of hope was immediately drained from Doppio's face, and he now expressed anger. Doing his best to avoid the attacks that came at him, he screamed back.

   "NO! NEVER! THIS IS NOT RIGHT AND I WILL NOT BE PART OF IT!"

   "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, DOPPIO, THIS IS DANGEROUS, YOU CANNOT WIN THIS!"