Chapter 20 -The Tragedy of the Blind King

What has become of my mind?

***

   The stone hall was illuminated by the orange tint of the dawn and the faint light of the dancing flames that burned on the torches on the wall. The place was large and tall, with many stone pillars holding the building together. A dark red velvet carpet extended all the way from the tall dark wood door on one side to a throne on the other. It was a throne made of stone, decorated with pieces of gold and velvet cushions, making the royal seat comfortable for the man who sat upon it.

   His body was slender, yet with visibly strong muscles. His face was clean and beardless, and his eyes has a red iris. His long black hair fell upon his back and hand, as he sat on his throne with his head resting upon his right hand. His legs covered with plain black pants and shoes stood crossed in front of him, and their dark color accentuated the red tattoo on his bare chest, in the shape of a crescent moon. The man looked impatient, meditating by himself.

   Suddenly, the tall door at the opposite end of the room opened, and from it came a man. He looked younger than the man on the throne, although his face and body structure looked similar. His hair was red and he wore a dark red cloak that covered his entire torso. He had black pants and shoes. His semblance was of worry as his heavy footsteps echoed through the hall. The man on the throne raised his hand as he began to speak.

   "My dearest brother and counselour, you have returned at last. What news do you bring me, Angelus?"

   Angelus, the young man, approached him with a hurry, handing the man a bloody golden insignia slightly bigger than a coin.

   "My brother and King, I bring you bad news. The last of the execution squad has been killed by the traitors. The information squad has just delivered me this news. They have managed to find out where the traitors are heading."

   He had heard of a group of traitors that had emerged inside the ranks of his mighty army recently. An army that had been given unbeatable powers through the unknown abilities of an ancient golden artifact. Two groups had been sent towards the traitors, one to investigate their trials and the other to stop them and their plans before they went too far. After all, one of the heads of the traitor team was once one of his most revered generals, along with a newcomer to his army.

   But at last, the squad that he sent to eliminate them had little success against the traitors, being able to eliminate the rogue general, but not the newcomer and some of his allies. The stories told of an artifact even more powerful than the one the King's army possessed, one that remained hidden for all this time, guarded by an unknown guardian, and that was where the traitors were going. Angelus explained his King and brother about the artifact and the threat it posed if even one of the traitors put their hands on it.

   "I see... And tell me, brother, how far are they from reaching the artifact?"

   "As I have been informed, they are getting closer. If we are to solve this situation, we must send another group away right now."

    "I beg to differ, my dear brother..."

   The man got up from his throne, with a serious and determined look.

    "These traitors have gone too far already, and I fear that no matter how many squads we send towards them, they will persist. Their stands are strong, but their will is stronger. I reckon, dear brother, that we have no more choice."

   He disappeared, and reappeared behind his brother, putting both hands on his shoulders.

   "Fetch me my cloak, Angelus."