Chapter 8 - Forgotten in Darkness

Through the darkness they approach me,
Proud and resilient.

...

Let me see what they are capable of.

***

   They reached the other end of the bridge, and as Ganz had promised, there were no interruptions on their path. Diavolo and Doppio now stood together before a large black gate, the moonlight accentuating the intricate, yet grim decorations carved upon it.

   The stared at it in awe, before taking a step forward, as both reached their hands towards its surface.

   "Are you ready, Doppio?"

   "As always, Boss."

   They pushed it hard until it opened, revealing only a thick dark fog behind it. They proceeded onwards into the almost tangible darkness, as the door shut behind them.

   The fog slowly started to dissipate, as the duo looked around the room that was now revealed to them: it looked like an arena, perfectly round with the exception of the black in opposite sides of the room. Crimson gothic style arches covered the walls, and were decorated with black medieval style swords; the tiles that covered the ground formed a black and red mandala, and the tall ceiling had a gigantic pitch-black metal chandelier that burned with a scarlet flame that made the room bright and sinister.

   In the middle of the room stood a peculiar figure. The fog was all gone, that is, with the exception of that being, whose body was completely covered by it, despite the humanoid shape is maintained.

   "What... is that?"
   Doppio was curious but had a strange feeling of dread like never before in his life. Diavolo felt similar, but kept quiet, staring carefully at the thing in the middle of the room.

   At last, 2 red lights in what seemed to be the head were now lit, and it opened its arms. With a deep coarse voice, he spoke to them.

   "Fear not, Diavolo and Doppio. We shall start when you are ready."

   Diavolo took a step forward, examining the thing from top to bottom.

   "What are you?"

   Emotionless and with a monotone voice, it answered:

   "Someone like you. Like all of us. Except I have lost much more."

   "So you are actually... human?"

   "Why the surprise, Diavolo? Everyone you have seen until now has been, and I an not an exception."

   "I see..."

   They remained in silence for a moment, Diavolo and Doppio feeling constantly on edge, while the being just looked at them with devilish dead eyes. At last, Diavolo spoke again.

   "So if you are human... you must have a name. What is your name?"

   It looked back at Diavolo, still devoid of expression, and promptly answered.

   "I have forgotten my name. All the others call me Nameless."

   Diavolo's idea was to comfort himself; knowing an opponent's name humanized them, made them seem much more approachable and mortal, something he felt they desperately needed due to the strange nature of the foe in front of them. Instead, they were presented with something much worse than they could have imagined.
   Someone devoid of any traces of humanity, a monster through and through. And his calm demeanor only made his coarse voice seem more unsettling.