Chapter 17 - Twilight of a Blind Dream

As they reached the end of the long staircase, the walls that constrained it gave place to a free space. Diavolo and Doppio found themselves on a long path in the open. Above them, the night sky was starless and black as a bible, giving extra attention to the large full moon that hovered over the scenery.

   "This place..."

   Doppio walked to a balcony, only to see the entirety of the place they found themselves: it was a large castle of strange yet beautiful architecture, similar to a gothic style yet somewhat more mysterious. The place they stood was a bridge on the roofs of the castle, leading to a small tower that appeared to lead to somewhere else higher up, although it was impossible to see it from their location.

   "Wherever we are... its surely no ordinary place."

   Diavolo kept admiring the expertly cut grey stones that most of the structure consisted of, decorated with intricate patterns of red and edges of black. Bright torches illuminated the path they were going through, shining an abnormally bright light for a regular flame.

   They went ahead while admiring the place. They haven't had much time or patience to take a good look at that strange place while completing their trials, but now they did, and the towering structure that surrounded them was at the same time marvelous and intimidating. The walls were a sight to behold, yet felt like a prison; the towers majestically oppressing them with their feint looming shadow cast upon by the bright moonlight.

   In the middle of the way, Doppio stopped, leaning over the balcony, watching down into the darkness.

   "What's wrong, Doppio?"

   "Oh, it's..."

   He stared intently into the abyss beyond the boundaries of the castle, with an uncomfortable expression.

   "It's..."

   "Don't worry, Doppio. Whatever it is, you can say it."

   He looked at Diavolo from the corner of his eyes, before turning his sight again to his front.

   "It's just that... we've been through so much. We've fought and learned and... I got to finally know you. It was strange for me all this time, I never really knew how I had your contact, or why you trusted me, and now... now I got to know and understand not only the past you..."

   He turned his head towards Diavolo.

   "...but the new you. I got to fight alongside you and see the changes in yourself... and I guess in myself as well."

   "But there's more than that, isn't there?"

   "I mean... after all that has happened, after all we faced, can we even be sure that what we were promised was true? What actually lies at the end of our journey? Will we achieve what we always desired, or be let down by more false expectations, fueled by misguided hope? I guess... I guess I'm talking too much, ain't I..."

   Diavolo leaned his back on the balcony and took a deep breath.

   "You know, I always wanted to be able to control my future. As far as I remember, I had the desire to mold it in my own hands. In the end, it all came down to a fear of what would happen, a sense of paranoia that made me want to destroy my past to ensure my future."

   He turned his head to Doppio.

   "I know what you are feeling, I understand your fear, and I too had it. But now... at the end of all this, I learned to not fear my fate, but to look forward and face it if I need to. That is what I suggest to you, Doppio."