Chapter 12 - Looming Chaos

She stood in the middle of the room, the bizarrely corrupted version of her stand, Indiscipline, stood beside her, making for an eerie presence. Diavolo and Doppio were about 7 meters from her, alert to any strange movement from Midare's part.

   "My sister Soshiki is overall strong, but she fails in a crucial aspect:

She thinks too much."

   She began to crack her knuckles as she spoke.

   "Too many plans, too many variables, every single detail put on paper and analyzed. Most times, that can work, but if you plan too much, you set yourself too many ways to fail. In trying to carve your perfect victory,  you dig your own grave."

   She was now walking from side to side, still ranting about Soshiki's failures. Diavolo and Doppio did not dare to interrupt, afraid of what might happen if they were not cautious.

   "That is how she lost. She relied too much on her patterns, and forgot how to fight on instinct."

   She turned to them and pointed.

   "And that is why..."

   With her pointing hand, she raised 2 fingers. In Diavolo's perspective, her right eye fit perfectly between them.

   "Two patterns. I will defeat you with two patterns."

   Indiscipline snapped the fingers in its right hand.

   All three remained in silence for a minute, and Midare started to get visibly annoyed.

   "You won't be able to pass the trial if you don't try, will you? Then come and try it, Diavolo, meet your end by my hands."

   Diavolo started to walk, but towards her, but then back up, leaning to Doppio. Midare seemed confused. He whispered to Doppio.

   "It seems like I have full control of my body now. What is she planning?"

   "I'm not sure, Boss... She is acting strange, but she seems honest about her words, although I wouldn't count on that."

   "I see. I will try to approach her. Watch Epitaph's vision, and tell me if anything threatens me."

   "Ok."

   Diavolo straightened his pose and once more began to carefully walk towards Midare, King Crimson now beside him. He approached her, but she did not move an inch. He got even closer, and yet she stayed still.

   "Are you just going to watch, Diavolo"

   He looked at her seriously.

   "You should try to-"

   The phrase ended abruptly, as Diavolo reappeared behind her. He was in the perfect position to strike, and Shisha's body was still fragile due to the beating it had sustained. Victory was at his grasp. With clenched fists up high, he prepared to strike Shisha Midare down with a last devastating blow.

   She noticed his sudden disappearance and turned her head back to see him. His fist fell down full force towards her...

...and missed.

   Diavolo was confused. At that range, it was impossible to miss any attack. He tried another punch and missed again. He continued trying multiple attacks in sequence, as fast and as hard as he could, but nevertheless, they all failed to hit Midare. Diavolo now had a disturbed and crazy look as he had stopped trying to attack, while desperately attempting to catch his breath. Midare looked at him and let out a soft sarcastic laugh.