Chapter 15 - Fate on the Scale

"I will never forgive him!"

   Diavolo's mind was bursting with emotions, trying to wrap itself around what had just happened. He looked behind him to see an immobile Doppio fallen on the ground with blood underneath him. Facing forward, he saw his enemy, Jade Sinfield, standing before him with his stand, Wake of Poseidon, by his side, in a silent challenge that urged him to go ahead and meet his doom.

"But... can I even beat him?"

   He felt paralyzed with fear and anger, reluctant to take the first step. What was going to happen to him? Was he even able to defeat that threat? Was this how his journey ended? Many questions clouded his thinking, and for a moment he felt completely defeated.

"Don't give up now, Boss!"

   Doppio's words echoed inside Diavolo's mind, setting him straight.

"I can't stop just yet..."

"There's gotta be a way to overcome him..."

"I can't fail him!"

   He took a step forward. He could not back down, he could not forgive him. Jade smiled, embracing Diavolo's resolve with open arms.

   "Come, Diavolo! Our true battle now begins!"

   Diavolo ran at him, screaming a guttural battle cry, as King Crimson floated beside him. He approached rapidly, while Jade stood still in a serene pose, with his inviting arms wide open as he faced Diavolo with a malicious grin.

"No matter what I do, he will switch with me..."

   Despite his almost primal reaction, Diavolo's mind worked to its full extent.

"There must be a breach in his ability, there has to be... and I must find it."

   Still screaming, he was getting closer to Jade.

"But for this... I must take a risk to find it."

    "KING CRIMSON"

   His stand started to attack, but time erase took effect at that very moment. He held back his attack, circling Jade. Just as he did, he and Jade switched places.

   "Interesting... it seems like he is fated to switch. Maybe I can use that in my favor. However..."

   He looked at Wake of Poseidon, and with King Crimson, ripped the trident away from its hand. He stood back a few meters.

   "I must test his range."

   Time resumed as he threw the trident at Jade, who looked around trying to understand the sudden change in perspective. Jade stepped aside as Wake of Poseidon grabbed the trident mid-air.

"This seems to be a safe distance... but I need to go to the limit! I cannot hope to beat him from this far away."

   Jade pretended to clean dust off his shoulder, mocking Diavolo.

   "Nice try, nice try... my turn now."

   Wake of Poseidon threw the trident at Diavolo. Before it got too close, King Crimson used its ability. The trident phased through Diavolo, who grabbed it again with King Crimson.

   "I need to get closer and test him, but Jade won't allow me to approach him without retaliating."

   He looked at the trident he held in his hands.