Chapter 18 - One More Red Nightmare

"Accept my offer, and you shall become the king of all kings."

The crimson moonlight illuminated the courtyard and casted a reflection in the shocked eyes of a paralyzed Diavolo. Unable to make a coherent sentence, his mind reminisced of his life, the good and the bad, trying to wrap around the question and find any semblance of reason that could lead him to an answer.

"Answer me, Diavolo, what is your response to my offer? Will you join us in our revenge against those who casted this dreadful curse upon our fate?"

"This is madness, Boss!"

Doppio had understood the situation by that point, thought about what implication it might have had, and found within himself an immense repulse of that sentiment.

"We must let the past die! They promised us peace, why go back to such a dangerous way of living?!"

The Blind King was not amused by Doppio's statements, the bright scarlet eyes that formed the whole of what simple manifestation of what used to be his face expressing suspicion and anger.

"Nonsense! You shall become greater than anyone! None shall be able to defeat us if we unite our forces."

Doppio approached Diavolo and held him by his shoulders.

"Come on, Boss... it's not worth it. Shouldn't we just live a normal life from now?"

Diavolo now looked down with a somber expression, shadows bathing his eyes. He gently pushed Doppio aside and walked forward towards the Blind King, before stopping completely before him.

"...Boss...?"

"What have you chosen, Diavolo?"

After a moment of silence with his head down, Diavolo kneeled before the Blind King, before raising his head up to him.

"Very well, I accept your offer. I shall become your champion, and your vessel."

Delighted by those words, the Blind King opened his arms wide in a welcoming manner.

"I am glad you did. You are now officially one of us!"

Diavolo walked towards them as the others cheered and congratulated him. Yet Doppio did not move. He stayed silent in his place, standing still while looking to the ground. Diavolo noticed this and turned back.

"Doppio? Let's go, we are going to gain power again!"

Doppio looked up, more serious than ever before.

"No."

Diavolo was shocked, but not only he: the others around him had a mix of disbelief and confusion, while Jade seemed amused by Doppio's words.

"D- Doppio, what do you mean no?!"

"I said no. This is not what we were promised, and I will not take part in it."

"But Doppio! This is an opportunity within a million! A chance to reconquer everything we have lost, regain our influence and expand on it!"

Doppio clenched his teeth in anger.

"This is not what I wanted! I want peace, I want to stop all this fighting! This is not right, Boss!"

Diavolo seemed to get irritated with the last sentence.

"Not right?! Not right is what happened to me! I have suffered countless deaths without rest! I have known pain like no other, and now I want my chance to retribute it! Think about this, Doppio, a chance to get vendetta on Giorno Giovanna! Why wouldn't you want that?! Are you mad?!"