Eighteen - The One Where Maths Comes In Helpful

Lucy's PoV
The room remains dark for days. The woman doesn't return except to feed me water and bread.
She doesn't say anything anymore.
Neither do I.

I've given up hope of getting out. Every day for hours on end I find my eyes tracing the walls. I now know exactly where every little crack in the imperfect paintwork and every little speck of dust on the nightstand is. I have counted the amount of little spikes that are on the ceiling. My mind has hollowed itself out in desperation and the desire to escape itself.

Oh where are you Derek?

Aaron's PoV
I have never seen Derek so destroyed.
When him and Kennedy returned from their 'trip', we were all annoyed at them for leaving but when they showed us what they had find our hearts softened.

"So, none of us have any idea what any of these numbers
mean?" Asks Rose.
We all nod.
There is a list of numbers, not phone numbers but something else.
281 264 269 267 261 264 257 273 268 262 274 277 275 264 267 261 268 278
I run my hand over them again. They're all over two hundred and fifty.
I move across to the cheap laptop we got for the Lucy Wall, and open it onto Excel. Then, I type in all of the numbers and look for the lowest number and highest number. 257 and 281.
So the numbers range from 256 to 282.
"I've got it!" Calls Kennedy from the next room, the girls' bedroom. She's sat at her desk, with the numbers on the wall above her.
I walk in and sit on the end of the bed and she picks up a piece of paper filled with calculations.
"So, I was thinking and one less than the smallest number in the sequence is 256, my house number. And one more than the largest is 282. Exactly 26 more.
What has 26 characters in it? The alphabet." She explains. I grin at her and hug her.
"Omg I love you."
I blush when I realise what I've said but she's too busy smiling.
"So, how do we figure out what it means?" I ask, she smiles and walks into the living room. She opens a new tab on the laptop and brings up a website for converting numbers to letters. Then, she types in every number and clicks convert.
yruomra htaenrednu
"What the hell does that mean?"

Lucy's PoV
I have now lost track of time. I have lost all hope of anyone finding me and I have no idea why I am here.
I'm not important.
Unless they want me for leverage. But what would they want from Kennedy and Aaron?
I ask myself these questions in a perfectly practised cycle.
I'm convinced I've gone insane and at this point it doesn't seem like a bad thing.
I have taken asylum in the shadows bouncing across the walls, figments of my imagination but terrifying none the less.
I shut my eyes, numb now to the annoying strand of hair forever balancing on my cheek. My hands are tied by my sides, and I have dug into them with my subsided fighting.
I gave up hope of getting myself out of this murderous room hours ago. That was before I started to see things.
Hallucinations plaguing my vision and sectioning my days into disproportionate, hollowed out boxes each with their own sanction.
First came the morning, or what I assumed was the daily sun rising. I would wake from a light, dreamless slumber to be greeted by the woman. She would inject some crippling drug into the needle and leave me thrashing in rounded out pain.
Then, the second. The approximately three hours in which I am left to my own devices and those of my imagination.
Then, the third where the woman would return, ensuring my torture is still dragging itself through my ignited veins.
Then, finally the fourth where I am once again left to reside in my pointless existence.

It's depressing to say the least but it gives me some kind of grounding to know that these things will happen.
And I know what to expect.

Kennedy's PoV
yroumra htaenrednu.
These two words find themselves echoing through my mind for three days. Three days of endless deciphering and sorting out.

None of us have bothered with sleeping and eating comes in short bursts when any of us can be bothered to journey to the second floor vending machine.
Derek is falling into a hole of deep despair and I have my own sanctuary of hope forever lost in the tangles of sadness and loss.
She left a hole where my heart is supposed to be.

My daydreams are filled with her. She was my best friend and I will go to the ends of the earth to get her back.

"I've got it!" Penny's voice cracks the silent air with such ferocity that we all jump.
"What?" Asks Derek, already at Penny's table of papers.
"Why did we never read it backwards?" She asks.
My hope is suddenly untangled and a smile breaks my face, pushing away the dust.
"What does it say?" I ask, at Dereks side a split second later.
"Underneath Armoury." She says.
"The armoury in the warehouses!" I cry.
Derek starts to cry, grinning, and I hug him.
He crumples into my arms, grinning and smiling into my neck.
When I release him, I hug Aaron.
"We found her." He whispers.
I nod and I nod and I nod.
And I can't stop.

It's o v e r.

-
Boooooom.
Love you beautiful people x