welcome back

~you run into katherine at the gas station when you come back from vacation~

as i finally come across the mystic falls welcoming sign, my car basically yells at me to get my attention.

"the fuck you want?" i ask, annoyed. i really need a new car. this one is so damn loud. it violently beeps at me for everything. "oh shit. i need gas," my eyes widen. "good thing the big ol gas station i got murdered at is close by," i retort, dramatically, referring to when hayley went all bat shit and thought i was a five star steak meal. at least i came back (we still have no idea how, but the look on munchie werewolf's face was priceless when she saw me).

i sigh in relief as i finally arrive and pull into an empty slot. when i got out of ms. beep-a-lot to pay for my gas, a familiar scent engulfed me. motherfucker.

i look to my left to see katherine on the other side of the line of stations i was at, leaning on stefan's car - either pretending she didn't see me, or trying to get my attention. i decide to speak, anyway.

"nice car, vampie. did ya steal it?" i ask without looking at her. i hear a soft chuckle.

"he actually gave it to me. owed me." she pauses. "i didn't expect to see you anytime soon."

"aw, did i ruin a famous katherine pierce fallout?" i send her a smirk. she gives me a smile.

"you know it," she teases. "but, not really." i see her face soften. "i just thought you would be gone longer after what happened."

it's my turn for my expression to soften as i think of the recent events. after the attack that i thought i would never come back from, i found out that she went after my brother, too. he was the only thing i had left after my parents died along side the rest of my family in a fire. when i heard of what she did, i went on a rampage. destroying my living room, where i heard the news. going after hayley, but coming up short, since she already fled. throwing everything i could carry into a bag and going after her. when i found her, she was with klaus and the rest of the mikaelsons. that alone made my fearful, broken heart flee - i didn't want another unfriendly visit from the hybrid and have my friends hurt. after that, i spent the rest five months ignoring messages and phone calls from my friends and just went anywhere my soul lead me. even katherine reached out a few days ago, causing me to realize how worried everyone actually was.

"y/n? are you alright?" her soft voice brought me out of my thoughts.

"what? o-oh, yeah. fine." i tried to put on a fake smile, but she saw right through it.

"bullshit." she dead panned, walking towards me. before i knew it, she engulfed me in a giant hug, which i surprisingly eased into right away. i hugged back. "everything is going to be okay," she said as she rubbed my back. "it may not seem like it right now, but it will be. life has a weird way of working. no matter how bad or good things seem, it always goes back to the middle. not too bad, but not too good, either. just balanced." she pulls away and gives me a smile.

"why are you so kind to me?" i seemed to catch her off guard by the way her jaw loosened and her smile faltered. but it went right back.

"because i actually care about you." i couldn't help the grin taking over my face.

"wow. the katherine pierce actually has feelings?" i ask in mock surprise.

"what can i say? you really have me, y/l/n. took me almost loosing you to figure it out, but it's true." now i actually am surprised. i could tell how sincere she was, causing me to blush.

"well shit. if only i knew earlier. i would've made a move and taken you out stargazing instead of taking out caroline's headass." now it was her turn to blush.

"well...i'm open tomorrow night." the statement makes me smile wider and i nod.

"then i'll pick you up at 6:30, so we can watch the sunset, too."

"great." she smiles back. "but, i'll pick you up. i wanna treat you to everything as a welcome back."

"okay, then."

"okay." she hugs me again and gives me a kiss on the cheek as she pulls away. "see ya later." she sends a wink and then makes her way back to her car. "oh, and don't tell anyone about my soft side, i'll never hear the end of it."

all i could do was nod and give a thumbs up as she drove away. damn. what am i getting myself into?