tragically destined pt.2

-flashback

-flashback...england 1492 (y/n pov)-

"katerina! wait for me!" i laugh through my words as i carefully lift up my dress and run after her. i smile widely as i keep my eyes on her bouncing chocolate curls, trying not to loose her. i pick my pace up to a sprint, without going my full speed, and i end up right behind her.

"мамка му!" she laughs under her breath and i laugh louder at her cursing in bulgarian - the only way she'll curse around my family. even though i speak and understand it.

i'm finally close enough to her and i carefully tackle her to the ground, but it quickly backfired as my body turns and i fall on my back, my arms instinctively hold her protectively. my eyes squeeze shut as i feel katerina fall on top of me. we both chuckle through our groans and i open my eyes to see her already looking at me with a smile. i smile back at her just as brightly.

"i told you i'm faster than you. i always beat the boys in my village. i even made some cry."

"oh whatever!" she giggles and props herself up to look at me better.

"it's true!" i look her in the eyes. my voice lowers to a whisper. "one of them was kol. don't tell."

her eyes widened in amusement and she laughed even more. "well i definitely won't cry."

"i know." my smile stays.

the air becomes silent and we swiftly fall into each other's warm gaze. i've noticed we are beginning to admire each other more frequently for longer periods of time. and if my heart still worked, it would for sure have beat itself out of my chest by now.

i suddenly get brought out of my trance my katerina's soft voice.

"i love you," i hear her say through the sound of her heart beating rapidly against her ribs. her eyes warm as she looks at me.

my smile falters slightly, knowing this is a big problem for niklaus' plan. and it's an even bigger problem due to what i'm about to say.

i focus on her again and my smile grows back.

"i love you, too."

-end flashback-

"what happened after that?" elena asked.

katherine let a sigh flow from her lips. "she took me to her secret spot and told me everything."

"secret spot?" elena wondered.

"yeah," katherine smiled as she thinks of your special place. "it was this little clearing in the woods. in the nighttime, you could see every single star in the sky." she sighed again. elena just watched as she continued. "we usually went there when we wanted to get away from everyone. to have a little break. but when she took me there that time, i knew it was the last time i'd see that place ever again."

"what did she tell you?"

katherine's eyes instantly went dull.

"what she was. what they all were," she pauses. "well...are. she told me how she got to their land and became a part of their dysfunctional family. she told me how she found out about klaus' curse and how to get rid of it - who he needs to get rid of it. she told me everything i needed to know." she pauses again, her throat swelling up as she thinks of everything. of how scared she was. elena's heart swells in pity as she hears katherine's voice break. "she told me that she loves me, and that she would do everything in her power to keep me safe. even if it meant running from her brothers and sister for the rest of time. she would do it all for me."

katherine finally lets a tear run down her blotchy cheek, not knowing of how much her eyes pooled with her tears. elena was taken aback by the sight, thinking katherine always had her humanity turned off. but then her mind instantly shifted as she realized something.

"wait...you speak about her like she never died..." elena points out.

"yeah," katherine says plainly.

"is she alive?"

katherine smiles softly. "i don't know."