welcome back pt.3

~ katherine confesses her feelings ~

"so, yeah. we've bonded over the time you were gone. still feels a little weird," katherine chuckles. we were sitting on a few blankets with pillows, waiting for the stars to appear. while we wait, she was talking about how she and elena have surprisingly been getting along.

"that's really amazing," i smile.

"yeah," she smiles back. "is actually even more amazing that damon doesn't seem so obsessed with me anymore. he's actually been really cool. along with the others. especially caroline. we've been getting really close," my smile grows at how happy she looks.

"you seem really happy."

"i am," she nods. "but maybe it's because of something more."

"what's that?" i tilt my head in curiosity.

"i," she pauses, thinking about her words. "i figured out my feelings towards someone."

"who?"

katherine looks down with a smile, seemingly not wanting to tell me. but when her eyes look to me, giving me a look i've never seen, i knew exactly who.

"you," she simply says, causing my heart to soar. a blush keeps up my cheeks when she gently grabs my hand. "like i said, i took me almost loosing you to find out how i truly feel, but i finally did. and i won't ever let anyone do anything like that again. i love you way too much to have you slip away." her eyes widen at her own words, not meaning to reveal everything. i see her trying to read my expression, worried i'll run away or reject her confession.

my mouth opens to say it back, but i decided to just show her that i reciprocate her feelings. i gently grab the back of her neck and slowly lean forward, making katherine gulp. knowing that she hasn't been in this situation with a woman before, i wanted to ease into it. i see her look down to my lips and i wet them in reflex. i look down to hers and do the same. my lips ghost over hers and her breath hitches, making my mouth slightly twitch into a small smile. but it fades quickly when she forces the barely existing gap to a close.

my lungs spasm and i take in a sharp breath, not expecting for her to move so fast.  i finally kiss her back after a couple of seconds. when i do, the feeling of her lips against mine make hundreds of butterflies erupt in my stomach. i pull her in closer and i feel her heart beat against mine rhythmically, and quickly. the amount of passion pouring out of ourselves and ramming into one another is so overwhelming, that i'm becoming light headed. but the ecstasy-like moment had to come to a close, since the need for air became to powerful.

i feel katherine lean back slightly and i start to open my eyes. when mine met her beautiful, warm chocolate pools, my heart stopped beating and began to swell so much, it hurt my chest. the look of pure admiration she gave me sent me into highs unknown.

"i love you, too," i reply, breathlessly. she gives me a wide, face-eating smile and pulls me into a tight embrace.

"thank god." i hear her sigh through her chest and i smile. "thank god." she repeats.