2

One deep breath after the other, silently pleading that no one can see or hear the heavy breaths or heart pounding. Thinly dodging one person after the other in the squished and claustrophobic hallways. How is it that this town is so small and yet large enough to have this many kids?! Luckily making it in time to her class before her head is shoved into a locker door by none other than one of the many bullies at school. "Look, guys, it's the orphan. Aww is she gonna cry? Why don't you run to mommy and daddy? Oh, wait! You don't have any!" Vince mocks, still pressing his hand on the side of her head, making sure there was pressure to leave a small locker-bruise on her cheek.

Swiftly smacking his arm away and slipping into the classroom where Vince and his 'friends' can't do anything with a teacher watching. The red-headed bully growls while Lena gave a quiet sigh of relief, shuffling to her seat in the back corner of the class by the back wall, not the window as most people think where the anti-social kid would sit. Did you think this was an anime? There was no way Lena would sit by the window, not in Jasper where the sun beats down on you. Besides, that's Miko Nakadai's seat, a transfer student from Japan who she guessed believed the brochure instead of doing research beforehand.

The clock ticked by slowly, only going slower when kids dared it to in their heads, all except Lena. A 5 ft 6, 15-year-old, orphan. Yes, the classic 'main character is an orphan' cliche. She was 6 and her brother was only a few months old when found on Jasper's orphanage's front step with no recollection or memory besides her and her brother's name, Alex, their age, and wise words from a female voice. 

'It's the strength of your heart and mind in unison that truly allows us to be in peace'. The words replay in her mind every day at what they could mean. Riddles where neither her or Alex's specialty. Maybe it's a code word? A secret cult phrase? Strange and absurd ideas always pop in her mind while trying to find the answer, then again, her life has never had answers, not like she can get them in the first place. 

No one in Jasper exactly wanted to speak to the girl. Yes, they pitied her and her brother but she brushed it off, used to the stares, especially since no one ever helped her escape the bullies or help her brother whenever he runs off unexpectedly looking for adventure. 

Great, just 30 minutes left, why can't school be longer? Most teens would want school times to be shorter, unless if you have an excuse for not wanting to go back to a makeshift home where we only play pretend 'family'. 

Knocked out of her thoughts by a paper ball landing dead center in her desk. Carefully opening it to not rip it and to make sure the teacher doesn't hear.

'I like your birthmark! It rocks! Look at the window seat to your left'. Doing as it says, she sees the punk-rock girl she's seen get detention many times for speaking out during class waving 'hello' with her textbook standing upright to hide her face. 

Giving a confused glance. She wants to talk to me? Why? The sudden surprise of yet another paper ball thrown at Lena's head, landing on her desk. More importantly, how does she have impeccable aim? Unfolding the paper, 'Wanna hang out later? for once I don't have detention and I've been dying for some girlfriends. By the way, I'm Miko!' 

Blinking a few times at the writing. The only question popping up is 'why'?

Shaking her head, deciding to ignore Miko. Having friends will just get in the way and become bothersome as time passes. But the growing amount of paper balls piling on her desk grows, along with Lena's annoyance. Heavily, and silently, sighing, tossing all the paper balls into the recycling bin next to and behind her own seat. Just how persistent can Miko be? Doesn't she know what 'no' means? Or at least the silent treatment?

With the cue of the bell, students quickly left the room to what they call freedom, but school is the real freedom. Slowly packing her textbook and notebook in her backpack, swinging the light blue bag over her shoulders, beginning to head out as well so she can go to work. It's not exactly as prosperous as K.O Burger but it still pays well. Lena works at a flower shop. Snorting at the irony. She brings destruction and chaos while she works in a shop that brings life and beauty. 

Stepping down the stairs before being stopped halfway down by the twin-tailed pink dyed-tipped Japanese girl who's pale complexion clashes with her own dark chocolate brown, black eyes, and brown tight curls. The only light part of her body is her strange orange birthmark, shaped like a flame. 

Miko's stupidly long smile, full of optimism, once again clashing with Lena who only shows a neutral face, not giving off any aura's of optimism or pessimism, always keeping check of her own emotions, how she uses them, and what emotion emits off of her. 

"What?" asking the preppy 15-year-old who still hasn't moved her own hand from Lena's shoulder. "What do you mean 'what'? We're hanging out!" she suddenly grabs Lena's hand, pulling her along down the rest of the stairs, towards an olive-green off-roading car.

Pulling her hand away forcefully, panicked by the sudden invasion of personal space, "Don't touch me!" 

Miko puts her hands in the air, sarcastically rolling her eyes, "Yeesh, fine, I won't touch you. But are you coming or not? I've been wanting to be friends with you for a while now," still not getting the hint of maliciousness subtly oozing off of the dark-skinned teen. 

"I would have thought you'd get it after I threw away that giant pile of paper balls you threw at me." Lena steps closer to the Japanese teen could get the message. "I. Don't. Need. Friends. Never have, and never will. I suggest you take that fact and process it in that air-headed mind of yours."

"Lena!" shouts a childish voice, running up from behind and clings to her body, hugging her legs tightly. Startled before relaxing, patting the 9-year-old on his head. "Hey, Alex, on your way home?"

He nods, even if he also knows it's not safe there, it's the only place with a warm bed and food we can go to. "Guess what! I learned how to multiply 25 x 25 today! It equals 625!" he informs. Picking the child up. 

His skin is pale like snow and hair, white as winter, with pale blue eyes that one can mistake for grey. Using her arm as a seat, he wraps his arms around her neck, looking at Miko as he would a stranger, and how correct he is since she is one to him. "Lena, is she stranger danger?" hugging even tighter, his red backpack shifts slightly.

Looking from her brother to Miko, still processing Lena and Alex's relationship. Yes, one might say they just know each other from the orphanage, but they are true siblings by blood. Huffing, "Yes. Yes, she is." Placing the boy down on the ground, still lingering by Lena's side. 

The two hold hands, starting to walk off, leaving the confused exchange student behind them to continue their own conversation. "Remember, I have to walk you halfway before heading to work. You know the drill." Alex does a makeshift military salute with his free hand, "Aye sis! Will you be home early? He might come back early..."

Quickly glancing around to make sure no one will see this. The coast is clear. Lena gently smiles at her younger brother, "I'll be home at around 7:30, as always. By the way, is there anything you'd like for your birthday?" He shakes his head before pointing at his older sister, "It's also your birthday. I want to get you something!"

Since the two were found on the same day with one being a baby only a few months old and the other a six-year-old child of no memory, the head of the orphanage decided to make the day he found us sleeping on his door our birthdays. 

Blowing air out of her nose in a chuckle, "How about I get us both some cupcakes?"

"Yay! Sweets! Sweets! Sweets!" he chants.