12

It's been a few days since her breakdown, by then all of Jasper heard about the youngest sibling's departure and their guardian's abuse. Once the savage man was caught he is to be taken to trial, by then the police scheduled a time for when they'd take pictures of the scars on Lena's body for evidence along with the images of Alex's burned and mercilessly cut frame. 

Lena spent the last few days tucked away in her room either contemplating out the window helplessly or at the only belonging she has left of her brother, the stick-figured drawing he made with messy letters at the top saying 'Happy birthday, Lena! The best big sister in the world! -from Alex'.

Miko and Raf stop by occasionally to see how the girl is doing, only for the same response from Jack, "She's still in her room and barely eating anything." Jack gestured to the quarter eaten pizza slice left on a plate on the kitchen counter. Pouting, "Bummer, dude. How are we going to cheer her up if she won't even come out?" Miko ponders on her train of thought. 

Swaying his head, "Miko, Lena just lost her brother, she needs comfort, not cheering." Jack informs the punk-rock 15-year-old and the 12-year-old boy sitting on the couch in between the two. 

Gazing out the window for what seems like the millionth time when in reality it's only the 16th, watching rare clouds roll by blocking the sun. Her only thought was focused on what Alex would say right now. 'Look Lena! I can fly!' jumping off the bed and onto the ground below with his usual bright grin, darting around the room, jumping up and down the bed in replacement of a trampoline. 

Gagging back another bewailing, how many does this make? 6? 9 times she's cried in the last few days? She lost track, only remembering the times she got water to satisfy dehydration. Uncirling from her position, Lena stretches her feet out, standing up, her back annoyed by all the sitting and motionless activity. 

Deciding it would be best to take a walk. Stepping out of the colorful room, down the hall into the living room where Jack, Miko, and Raf sat, taking a surprise to the sudden entrance of the orphan. Lena takes a moment to notice the trio before heading to the door, stopping when Jackson spoke, "Where are you going?" to be responded by a subtle "Out for a walk."

Sealing the door behind her, leaving the trio inside as she huddles her hands into her pants pockets, going down the sidewalk under Jasper's sweaty sun. No, she didn't have a destination, Lena just wanted out. Out of this town. Out of this life. The life she lives/lived, to get away from her past and start anew. But... she didn't want to forget about him. Even if people just assume they were close just because they're siblings and grew up together, it was more complicated than that. 

The two of them were mutants, the only two in the entire town - at least to Lena's knowledge - and had to watch out for each other. Avoiding authorities, doing their best to keep their flaws hidden from Leo's watch. For only a short amount of time, Alex and Lena were the only mutants left(to authorities knowledge) and now she's the only one left. The last of her kind. Making her an automatic target and a treasure to hunters to catch or scientists to find. 

Drowning her thoughts of memories. Lena's cried enough to be able to think about Alex and not shed a tear, but it still hurt. Hurt more than before and any of the previous days.

Passing by shops and restaurants, head hung low. Lena kept at the same pace for however long. She stops when she sees the charred cemented sidewalk. Looking up at the burned orphanage. Realizing she unconsciously went to the place she wanted to avoid. Police tape surrounds the area, some number tags and tape littered around orderly so they know where they found the body and where they think Leo lit the fire. 

Biting her lower lip at the scene. Clenching her fists at the scene. Immobility standing there until the metallic taste of blood cracks her senses. Putting two fingers at her lip, feeling where she bit into it. Hard. Leaving dents and blood coming out. It wasn't a lot of blood, she's lost more, but it was still pretty bothersome. 

A car's honk makes her jump back, seeing an olive green off-roading car and the familiar punk-rock teen sitting in the passenger's seat, waving enthusiastically at her. "Hey, Lena! Wanna hang out?"