9

She couldn't believe what she was hearing.

Classes had just ended, Lena walked halfway home with Alex before splitting up to head to work and somehow managed to avoid Jack, Raf, and Miko. Walking past one of the stores that placed TV's in their window cases, it was showing the news at usual, except this caught her eye.

'Last of the Mutants Exterminated' was the title. The world wasn't capturing mutants for lab experiments or war, they were really killing them and they believed that they found the very last mutant. Remembering the girl on the TV earlier in the morning. That child... she still had a life to live! Clenching her fists, furious, she notices her eyes glowing bright orange.

There was no laboratory. There was no war. There was only death for her people.

No. Rage will not solve anything right now. Conciliating the flames lashing about inside her, closing her eyes, reopening them to see them back at their normal brown.

Oh god, what will she tell Alex? That their kind is said to be extinct except for themselves? That they're possibly the very last of the mutants? His heartbroken face and icy tears always pained her.

One thing was certain. Lena will make humanity pay.

--------------

Lena's shift at the flower shop was over. The once bright blue sky was now half-lit, the night slowly taking over. Even some stars decided to pop out early. Rising her chest with each breath, savoring the smell of the sunset air, moister than it is during the day, colder, and calmer. With her flames only bringing chaos and death, knowing this feeling makes her feel less guilty about the burden of her flaw. At least Alex's doesn't destroy everything in its path but it is the yang to her yin, her opposite, making it impossible to live without the other or it would create a serious imbalance. 

Her shift was only two hours long, making it currently 5:44 p.m.

Wanting to stay outside for just a little bit more, but she has responsibilities than need completion. One being her brother. It's not like she can leave him alone for hours on end when that arsehole could be there. 

Everything should be normal, except it wasn't. The uneasy feeling from earlier just kept getting worse. Next thing Lena knew, she was running towards the orphanage with panic clearly placed in her eyes. 

Smoke rose in the air, covering half of the town, firetrucks speeding past and an ambulance. Oh please please please don't let this be what she thinks it is, praying to whatever deity there may be that her brother is alright! 

Blaze. Blazing everwhere. The flames were out of control. The orphanage was lighting up the auburn sunset, clouding up Jasper with ash and smoke. Inside, there were no screams, just the wacking and trashing and crackling sound of the red-orange flames spilling everywhere, throwing golden ambers, ash, and smoke. 

Everyone around her was bustling around, firemen spraying their hoses to extinguish the flames, police officers evacuating neighbors. The child fell to her knees, the burning light reflecting in her dark brown eyes, drinking the moister from her skin and the atmosphere. 

The only home she ever knew is gone. Lena doesn't know where her brother is. All they have is burned down to ash. One thing she does know is that if her brother was in there, he would have used his flaw to get out. 

----------

Everything past in a blur. One moment she's watching the flames, then the next she's looking at the charred building that was once her home. Walls broken, stairs crushed, the wooden pillars in the walls that kept it standing turned to black ash.