Scene 7 - Rushing back to the Eagle

The crew have their spacesuits on and are heading uphill back up towards the surface. The Professor carefully holds the plant with both hands. They then suddenly stop.

Dr. Russel:

Listen! The storm has stopped.

Sandra:

Thank heavens for that!

Paul:

A passing one, yet we were almost all killed.

Commander Koenig:

Koenig to Eagle 9?

Alan:

Commander? You alright down there?

Commander Koenig:

We're fine. We will explain what we have found when we get back inside the Eagle. Where are you now?

Alan:

I'm just hovering above the planet now. The storm has just passed you. It's safe to get aboard.

Alan does hover his Eagle over the planet, watch the black dot of the storm as it wheels over towards the right, well away from his last landing position.

Commander Koenig:

Right. We will take a chance. Come on. Hurry. Alan, take her down exactly where you last landed.

Alan:

Copy that Commander.

They begin racing back up and emerge out of the small hole one by one. Meanwhile, Alan begins firing the jets as Eagle 9 returns entry and begins landing in the exact same position as earlier.

Commander Koenig:

Quick. Back to Eagle!

They run over towards the attractive craft.

Alan:

Commander, you know how I was saying that the storm has gone?

Commander Koenig:

Yeah?

Alan:

Well, it's on its way back here.

Commander Koenig:

Everyone, beat it!

The entrance is open! The storm is beginning to return! More dust and wood begins flying around as it approaches them! John, Helena, Paul and Sandra are inside, the Professor lagging behind.

Paul:

Come on, Professor!

The storm is worsening! More debris and rubbish zooms and wheels around. Victor is nearly at the Eagle, yet can't make out where it is anymore. John and Paul jump back out and push him forward. The Eagle is sliding backwards from the power of the storm!

Dr. Russel:

HURRY JOHN!

They are now all inside! The doors slam shut! The Eagle is thrown backwards as it screeches as its tracks dig through the mud.

Commander Koenig:

Take her up Alan! TAKE HER UP!

Alan fires the engines once more, the Eagle still flying backwards and fighting it off. The craft spins right around and flies with it. Only then Alan is able to lift the Eagle up into the sky and soar back into space! The Eagle Transporter has now finally left Varga. John enters the control deck of Eagle 9, breathing heavily without his suit, tired and shaken from the experience. Sweat pours from his brows.

Alan:

You alright Commander?

Commander Koenig:

Fine Alan. Victor is shaken up a bit but he will be fine.

Alan:

Dangerous planet. Isn't it?

Commander Koenig:

Very. Good flying Alan.

Alan:

Thank you, sir. What did you find down there John?

Commander Koenig:

The people of Varga suspended in animation until the storms settle down. They gave us a plant. A plant that will help grow new plants and minerals that will help us.

Alan:

That's nice of them. They in suspended animation because of the storms?

Commander Koenig:

Right Alan. Eagle Transporter 9 to Moonbase Alpha.

David:

Go ahead Eagle 9.

Commander Koenig:

We are returning to Alpha. And put me through to Dr. Owen.

Dr. Owen:

Dr. Owen listening in.

Commander Koenig:

Good. Listen, you need to stand by in your laboratory because we have something interesting you'll want to investigate here.

Dr. Owen:

Oh?

Commander Koenig:

We have picked up a plant that will help growth of our supplies on Alpha.

Dr. Owen:

Very well Commander. My assistant and I will be ready.

Alan:

It seems a bit strange to me why they would just give you a gift like that.

Commander Koenig:

Maybe. But it is the best chance of survival our people have Alan!

Alan:

We are taking a completely alien plant back to Alpha Commander.

Commander Koenig:

That is a risk we are going to take Alan.

The Eagle flies well out from the planet, heading back to Alpha with Varga in the distance. If only the Alphans knew of the terrible fate of the plant...